Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BE Tiebreaker

Xavier @ Georgetown is the definition of a letdown game. If would have been nice if Xavier's bye was this Wednesday rather than Saturday.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Sophomore
    My initial reaction was "you can't be co-champs with a team that beat you twice." I've softened on that.

The regular season competition is everyone playing the same 18 games and who comes out best on the other side. Sure, Xavier lost twice to Villanova in this competition but also did two things (so far) that Villanova did not do (wins at SJU and Butler). Why should Villanova's excellence against X trump their shortcomings in those other areas?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Xavier @ Georgetown is the definition of a letdown game. If would have been nice if Xavier's bye was this Wednesday rather than Saturday.
    No, it's really not the definition of a letdown game...not following a loss, it's not. Had X beat Nova, it would be the dictionary example of a letdown game.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    My initial reaction was "you can't be co-champs with a team that beat you twice." I've softened on that.

The regular season competition is everyone playing the same 18 games and who comes out best on the other side. Sure, Xavier lost twice to Villanova in this competition but also did two things (so far) that Villanova did not do (wins at SJU and Butler). Why should Villanova's excellence against X trump their shortcomings in those other areas?
    Exactly how I felt and now feel.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    Not necessarily. Villanova got destroyed by 2 teams that Xavier beat twice. You have to look at the whole body of work.

"destroyed" is an interesting way to define the losses. Nova's 3 losses were by 8 to Butler, 4 to St. John's and 5 to Providence... total of 17 points for 3 games.

Not for nothing, I believe the conf champs should be based on the 18 games, the whole body of work is what matters imo. No issue with "co-champs" if that is the way it shakes out.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by novachap View Post
    "destroyed" is an interesting way to define the losses. Nova's 3 losses were by 8 to Butler, 4 to St. John's and 5 to Providence... total of 17 points for 3 games.

Not for nothing, I believe the conf champs should be based on the 18 games, the whole body of work is what matters imo. No issue with "co-champs" if that is the way it shakes out.
    Around here keeping it within 10 is a dominating performance against Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by novachap View Post

I had heard that there are tiebreakers to identify Big East conference winner and the first tiebreaker is head to head so Nova wins. In my mind, the only way for X to win the Big East conference season is for Nova to have one more loss than X. I think we would be fooling ourselves/delusional to think we were Big East co champs with Nova if we have the same record when they beat us pretty good twice. If that's the rule of the conference regarding tiebreakers so be it but if one determines that all on their own, I ain't buying it. To be the best you gotta beat the best.

Quote Originally Posted by letskeepitreal View Post
    I had heard that there are tiebreakers to identify Big East conference winner and the first tiebreaker is head to head so Nova wins. In my mind, the only way for X to win the Big East conference season is for Nova to have one more loss than X. I think we would be fooling ourselves/delusional to think we were Big East co champs with Nova if we have the same record when they beat us pretty good twice. If that's the rule of the conference regarding tiebreakers so be it but if one determines that all on their own, I ain't buying it. To be the best you gotta beat the best.
    I think you're mixing up what you heard about the 1 seed with the conditions for conference champs. Conference champs in a round-robin schedule is determined by the 18 games you play, not just two while others are auxiliary. If X ties Nova while being two games down in the head-to-head, it says something negative about Nova's ability to take care of the other 8 teams in the conference and something positive about X concerning the same.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My understanding is the the league would crown the "co-champs" if they finish with the same record. The tie breaker is strictly for seeding in the BET. That is what was done in prior years of the BE---there were several years with ties.

By the way, I really thought with Booth out and with Nova limping, you guys would not only win, but do so handily on Saturday. Nova just looked incredibly focused and dialed in. Obviously shot well in the first half, but also pushed back every run in the second half. A key to the game, although his stats weren't gaudy was Paschal. We missed him immensely when he was out---similar to Booth, really important cogs. Brunson missed shots he normally makes, but his assists / leadership on the floor were great and obviously Donte (21, 9, 9) and Bridges were fantastic.

I noticed not a lot has been said about X not going to the 1-3-1. I realize that historically Nova has done really well against it (they kind of lick their chops when a team goes zone) but I see it as a crucial part of your arsenal. It gets you going at the right pace with turnovers and hides the weaker man to man defenders. Clearly, it will be an incredible tool in the tournament---just like last year.

Finally (sorry--long post) Trevon is just a flat out assassin. He is so good offensively. I understand Jay told him (and JP as well) he was happy to not be facing them again! Marshall and Scruggs are very good, strong and have fantastic futures. They are going to be a force in the league for years. If either / both develop a consistent jumper---man oh man. Speaking of that, do you have any snipers coming i next year? Gonna miss that part of TB and JP's game imo.

Junior
    I'm wondering if Mack thinks the 1-3-1 got overexposed in 2016 and is holding it back so that its not as easily scouted as it has been in the past.