Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The only think that would suck is that the non-college basketball universe that would watch that would think Chris Mullin is a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    The only think that would suck is that the non-college basketball universe that would watch that would think Chris Mullin is a good coach.
    I don't agree. A team that has lost 11 straight league games, many of them close, should be very hard to motivate. And yet.

Being a good coach isn't just Xs and 0s. It's also about finding and then motivating athletes to play a style the coach wants, and /or finding a style of play that suits the talents that the coach has recruited. We're a top 5 team with a great coach, and yet Mullins coached St Johns has given us all we can handle.

Denigrating Mullins as "not a good coach" ad nauseam doesn't fit the facts.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Leads me to my next question. I think Mullen was out. Did this surge save his job?

Fans are fickle. They were calling for his head. Now he's one up on sliced bread.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Leads me to my next question. I think Mullen was out. Did this surge save his job?
    He was never going to be out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    He was never going to be out this year.
    Correct.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If X is a 1 and SJ is an 8/9 that would be one hell of a tough quarterfinals game
    2014 RTS National Champion $200,000 (2460 teams) 2015 RTS 2nd Place $25,000 (3120 teams)
    2012 NFFC National Champion $100,000 (1872 teams) 2015/2018 NCAA Bracketology 351/362 pts

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    I don't agree. A team that has lost 11 straight league games, many of them close, should be very hard to motivate. And yet.

Being a good coach isn't just Xs and 0s. It's also about finding and then motivating athletes to play a style the coach wants, and /or finding a style of play that suits the talents that the coach has recruited. We're a top 5 team with a great coach, and yet Mullins coached St Johns has given us all we can handle.

Denigrating Mullins as "not a good coach" ad nauseam doesn't fit the facts.
    I completely agree it's about more than Xs and Os, don't get me wrong, however when you watch a St. Johns time out it doesn't look like Mullin is doing much of anything and leaving his assistants to that part anyways. If he's the one behind the motivation good for him, but many could argue it's the fact that Ponds is channeling his inner Kemba Walker and willing these guys to victories. I'm leaning more towards the Mullin isn't a good coach narrative, granted I have no idea what goes on at a St. John's practice, so it's unfair to make that assumption.

Maybe he's not the vocal type, maybe that's not his style. But I would also argue that St. John's should have NEVER been 0-11 in the first place, they have a lot of good talent, granted in the form of "street ballers", but I wouldn't have ever expected them to be THAT bad in conference.

I can definitely see that argument. St. John's should not have ever been 0-11

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    I can definitely see that argument. St. John's should not have ever been 0-11

But then they beat #4 Duke and the world was good again!