Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Don't look now!!!

St. John's is now 64 in the RPI. If they win out the regular season and get to 7-11 That would mean wins against another top 25 rpi team and multiple top 50 teams. Do they enter the at large conversation at that point? Your probably talking a team that had an rpi in the low 40's with 2 top 5 wins, on a 7 game winning streak and one of the best players in America? Not saying they make it but they have to be considered right?

According to RPI Forecast:

Finish 4-0, projected RPI is 47.1 going into the BE tourney.
    Finish 3-1, projected RPI is 56.7 going into the BE tourney.

I think they have two paths to get an at large:

a) win their next five games (@Marquette, SHU, Butler, @PC, BET 7/10 game)
    b) win 3 out of their next four, win the BET opening round game AND beat X/Nova in round two

Supporting Member
    http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/St.%20John's.html

So RPI forecast has their ceiling in the 40s and their floor around 90. I think it if you are 17-13 with the wins that St. John's has and the lack of bad losses (only 3 bad losses, GT x2 and Depaul), you could be in the conversation. I don't think they make it, but who knows how bad the bubble will get between now and then.

Edit: I bow to XU11 beating me to the post.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It might be a 50/50 scenario for them to get in under the scenario that XU11 laid out.

At the very least, I would not be a fan of the Johnnies if I were a fan of a bubble team this year. Providence, for example, is on the good side of the bubble right now, but by no means are they locked in yet. Even Butler and Seton Hall really need 1 or 2 more decent wins apiece to feel safe at the moment.

If the Johnnies end up winning at Marquette, people would be salivating a matchup with Marquette (especially if Georgetown leapfrogs Marquette in the standings) in New York given that their season has taken a turn in the wrong direction.

ST John’s will need to win out and win 2 in the tournament. If they win the whole thing they be 20-13 31/3
    Lost 1 in the finals and they be 19-14 41/4
    Lose 2 and they will be 18-14 50/4

Personally thy need to win out and make the finals at least to get a bid and
    Even then it might not be enough.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

If they can finish 6-1 they'll definitely be in. 5-1 very likely in. 5-2 and they have a chance with how strong their schedule is, positive momentum, especially if they knock us or Nova off in BE tourney.

I find it very, very unlikely that SJU wins out in the regular season. They have at Marquette, Seton Hall, Butler and at Providence.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    But nothing is impossible this year.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I find it very, very unlikely that SJU wins out in the regular season. They have at Marquette, Seton Hall, Butler and at Providence.
    I hear ya, but they're halfway there, and the last four is the "easy" half.

They're certainly making an NIT case, in any event.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell