Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mohr5150 View Post
    Broering wrote a great article analyzing each three Nova made. He believes only 4 of the 16 made 3's were bad defense. I agree with him. Nova brings their A game against us every time. Their talent level and scheme make it impossible for every program in America to beat them when they play their A game.
    Yep. Could the defense have been better? Sure. The biggest problem with the first-half onslaught, though, was that with Nova making highly contested threes, Xavier wasn't keeping it close by scoring on the other end. They scored 37 points on 34 possessions, which is not good for this team at home. If X had countered Nova's offensive performance enough to keep it single digits at half, a comeback would have been much more likely.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by XUFan09; 02-19-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    It's tough to bill this as a once in a decade team when two years ago we were in almost the exact same place. Sure, next year will be a rough rebuilding year, but Mack has been turning out some good squads.
    Agreed. Just this year a thread about best team ever was started and a lot of people thought it was the team two years ago. Certainly that team is top 3-4 Xavier team of all time.

All I know is it's gotten old debating why Xavier got spanked by 15-25 by Villanova every time. Home, away, neutral, it doesn't matter.

Xavier is Nova's easiest two conference games every year.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    All I know is it's gotten old debating why Xavier got spanked by 15-25 by Villanova every time. Home, away, neutral, it doesn't matter.

Xavier is Nova's easiest two conference games every year.
    Do you have a long line of people asking to join you in your foxhole? I might rather take my chances in the open. At least I’d be safe from friendly fire!

Yes, it’s frustrating, but how far you advance in March is all that matters in my mind. If this helps prepare us, that’s fine.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Do you have a long line of people asking to join you in your foxhole? I might rather take my chances in the open. At least I’d be safe from friendly fire!

Yes, it’s frustrating, but how far you advance in March is all that matters in my mind. If this helps prepare us, that’s fine.
    I forgot we're never allowed to be critical. I'm sure Mack is thrilled X is 1-10 against Nova.

I love Xavier. I love Xavier basketball. It amuses me when people question someone's fandom if they're not the absolutely, most optimistic fan in the world.

And yes, ultimately, how far you go in March is all that matters, but Xavier's goal is to win the Big East Conference, and in order to do that, you have to beat Villanova.

I forgot we're never allowed to be critical. I'm sure Mack is thrilled X is 1-10 against Nova.

I love Xavier. I love Xavier basketball. It amuses me when people question someone's fandom if they're not the absolutely, most optimistic fan in the world.

And yes, ultimately, how far you go in March is all that matters, but Xavier's goal is to win the Big East Conference, and in order to do that, you have to beat Villanova.
    Believe it or not, Xavier might just do this in mere days. I'm assuming I don't need to tell you they didn't beat Villanova this season.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Believe it or not, Xavier might just do this in mere days. I'm assuming I don't need to tell you they didn't beat Villanova this season.
    Yeah, but X has to hope SOMEONE ELSE beats Villanova. I'll take a BE Championship ANY WAY it works out though. So far, in the four years X has been in the BE, the title has gone through Nova. You know that.

Again, I get that the Nova thing is frustrating. But I will say this might be the worst year ever to be negative about Xavier basketball. Enjoy this season, and hope it goes deep into March. That would be my approach and suggestion. But that’s just me. I don’t see great shame in losing to possibly the best team in the country, like Nova probably understands it’s hard to win the NC every year. Just keep working to get better. It’s what I would tell my kids. I would not go full “you suck mode” on them.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Yeah, but X has to hope SOMEONE ELSE beats Villanova. I'll take a BE Championship ANY WAY it works out though. So far, in the four years X has been in the BE, the title has gone through Nova. You know that.
    No one else has to beat Nova this year for X to win the Big East if that is what you mean. If X win their next 3 games they are Big East champs no matter what Nova does.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I care far more about March than the BE tournament, and I thank Nova for giving us the best possible preparation for March. I’d love to go undefeated every year, but that’s not the way it works.