New transfer rules

I apologize if this has been posted already.
    https://www.fanragsports.com/rothste...for-transfers/
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It's just a proposal at this point - nothing firmly etched in stone yet.

One other topic of discussion that will be voted on at NCAA meetings will be guaranteeing a scholarship for the length of the graduate program as it relates to graduate transfers. Most graduate programs are for two years, meaning that if a program wanted to add a graduate transfer it would then have to guarantee the scholarship for two full seasons.
    So if you take on a grad transfer, you have to effectively give up a scholarship the next year? For example, under this rule Kerem Kanter would not be eligible to play next year, but he would count against our number of scholarships. Am I understanding that right?

Is it that big of a deal, though? The better programs only really have 10-11 scholarship players because they don't have the minutes for more
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Yeah but I see this as pretty fair. You bring in a grad student with half a scholarship? Doesn’t seem fair.

Quote Originally Posted by letskeepitreal View Post
    Yeah but I see this as pretty fair. You bring in a grad student with half a scholarship? Doesn’t seem fair.
    What’s “unfair” about it? Wouldn’t you like to have 1/2 of your graduate school payed for?

Here’s a way it could work

Year 1.....grad student plays and scholarship counts against NCAA limit of 13....like it is now
    Year 2....since grad student isn’t playing, the scholarship doesn’t count against limit AND he becomes a grad. Assistant working within the athletic department in exchange for his tuition and expenses being paid

Otherwise you are paying for 2 years of schooling, but only getting 1 year of playing....now THAT is unfair. Scholarships are CONTRACTS and like any good contract there should be equal compensation for equal value. They are NOT GRANTS where nothing is expected in return.

I am confused. I thought athletic scholarships were renewable, year-after-year. Aren't there a number of circumstances (beyond a "Dez Wells" situation) that would allow the school (or its coaching staff) to renege on the renewal of its scholarship award to a player who simply didn't measure up, competitively?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Conferences like the Pac-12 and Big 10 have started to trend to 4-year scholarships, so their coaches aren't going to yank a schollie unless a student-athlete misbehaves off the court to warrant termination.

In many places, scholarships are renewable year-to-year.

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    So if you take on a grad transfer, you have to effectively give up a scholarship the next year? For example, under this rule Kerem Kanter would not be eligible to play next year, but he would count against our number of scholarships. Am I understanding that right?
    To me it sounds like the school would have to provide multiple years of scholarship money. However, players that have exhausted their eligibility never count towards the max number of scholarships. So the kid would get the rest of the grad program paid for but it wouldn’t be counted against the team’s scholarship limits.