Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Samari Curtis

  1. #41
    Supporting Member GIMMFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,097
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    I think the trust is there, but this class missed the top 100 guys or at least near 100. If you look on this team they are all top 100 or near it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree last year was a down year recruiting wise, Walters is a project, we don't really know much about Kennedy, however Mack has proved time and time again he can develop talent, the 2018 class was a fluke, with a lot of decisions just not going our way. I do think however, Mack wouldn't take people at X if he didn't truly believe in their talents and believed they could contribute. Not a lot of guys put up the numbers Curtis is putting up in high school, yes that doesn't always translate to D1 success, however, I do think this staff knows what they are doing. They've done a great job in identifying AND developing talent, and that's the benchmark of a good program. It's a lot easier for the Duke's and UK's of the world that get bonafide 5 star success, we aren't there yet, but we have a staff that has a good eye, and get the best out of guys.

  2. #42
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I agree last year was a down year recruiting wise, Walters is a project, we don't really know much about Kennedy, however Mack has proved time and time again he can develop talent, the 2018 class was a fluke, with a lot of decisions just not going our way. I do think however, Mack wouldn't take people at X if he didn't truly believe in their talents and believed they could contribute. Not a lot of guys put up the numbers Curtis is putting up in high school, yes that doesn't always translate to D1 success, however, I do think this staff knows what they are doing. They've done a great job in identifying AND developing talent, and that's the benchmark of a good program. It's a lot easier for the Duke's and UK's of the world that get bonafide 5 star success, we aren't there yet, but we have a staff that has a good eye, and get the best out of guys.
    I think Kennedy will be good. He is athletic, long and can shoot the ball. I think he is a sleeper. He plays on one of the best teams in Texas, with a 4 star going to Baylor and another 4 star going to Texas. He is 2nd on the team in scoring this year.

  3. #43
    Go back and look at former recruiting rankings some time. They're hilarious. For perspective, here were the 24/7 rankings for X in the Class of 2014.

    Trevon Blueitt - 39 (they got that one)
    Makinde London - 88
    JP Macura - 102
    Edmond Sumner - 106
    Larry Austin, Jr. - 132
    Sean O'Mara - 156

    Mikal Bridges was 81, Tra Holder was 109, Kelan Martin was 140, Ethan Happ 152

    Trust the staff.

  4. #44
    Wow Happ was that low? I remember O’Mara being just outside of the top 100.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #45
    Supporting Member Juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Wow Happ was that low? I remember O’Mara being just outside of the top 100.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He is about 3 inches taller now than when he was being recruited.

  6. #46
    All-Conference XUFan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    6,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    He is about 3 inches taller now than when he was being recruited.
    A la Edmond Sumner.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  7. #47
    Supporting Member Juice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,128
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    A la Edmond Sumner.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Huge difference between a 6-7 forward and a skilled 6-10 center who also redshirted his first year because maybe the rankings were somewhat correct.

    That being said, the rankings often overrate or underrate guys every year, but it's also important to remember that it's a team of a few guys trying to rank thousands of players across the country.

  8. #48
    All-Conference XUFan09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    6,922
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Huge difference between a 6-7 forward and a skilled 6-10 center who also redshirted his first year because maybe the rankings were somewhat correct.

    That being said, the rankings often overrate or underrate guys every year, but it's also important to remember that it's a team of a few guys trying to rank thousands of players across the country.
    Oh yeah, it changes what position he can play. Happ really would not be as good as he is if he were still that short, because it's not like he shoots threes or something like that. That said, Sumner's big growth spurt really helped him as a player too, though I guess he didn't change positions over it.

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  9. #49
    Sophomore Michigan Muskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,371
    From the board of a former rival:

    Folks: I always watch for players out of this area that I think are solid D-I prospects. The one player who has caught my eye is a 6'4" shooting guard, junior Samari Curtis, out of Xenia High School. He is a 3-star, for whatever that is worth. More interesting, Xavier just offered him along with Akron and a few other Ohio schools. I always find it difficult to predict how good a player will be at the next level, but today he is a man among boys in his league. In the last two games he has scored 86 points. He handles the ball well; shoots well off the dribble; and appears to be very athletic. Has anyone else seen this young man play? I have not seen anyone in the Dayton area with more talent than this young man.

    ------------------------------------

    Samari? Sign him up NOW!

    I know this kid personally...my son played on his AAU team for 3 years. He was typically the most athletic kid on the court at every tournament we played although his stats didn't always show it. But each year he became more and more of a team player and this trend continued in HS.

    His 2 older brothers always brought him to practice and the 3 of them were nothing short of awesome. From all appearances they are a tight and responsible family...my only fear is his education at Xenia HS.

    I love this kid. His athleticism is off the charts and with some more guidance and growth, I don't see how he couldn't get the attention of every coach in the country, not just the region.

    3-Stars? I'd take him over L'Christian Smith (Wayne, going to OSU for football) and put him up there with the Trotwood studs in terms of awesomeness.

    He gets a Golden vote from me.
    It's winning time.

  10. #50
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
    Go back and look at former recruiting rankings some time. They're hilarious. For perspective, here were the 24/7 rankings for X in the Class of 2014.

    Trevon Blueitt - 39 (they got that one)
    Makinde London - 88
    JP Macura - 102
    Edmond Sumner - 106
    Larry Austin, Jr. - 132
    Sean O'Mara - 156

    Mikal Bridges was 81, Tra Holder was 109, Kelan Martin was 140, Ethan Happ 152

    Trust the staff.
    This. Just this.

    Stars are what are in the sky.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •