Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I think college basketball has the shortest memory of any major sport. With the exception of maybe five programs (if it's even that many) you're only one bad season away from being irrelevant no matter how good you are now or how long you've been good.

Remember when Oregon was good? They were ranked in the teens just about two months ago. A #1 seed and Elite Eight in 2016, and a Final Four in 2017. Now their games don't even sell out and no one really thinks about them.

But, it works both ways. No matter how bad you are or how long you've sucked, you're just one season away from being nationally relevant. Two years ago Tennessee was basically shit.

It's kind of phenomenon. Teams can go from having scalpers sell their tickets for thousands of dollars one season to being completely forgotten in less than a year. And, vice versa. Like SMU, for instance. They're kind of an example of both ends.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I think college basketball has the shortest memory of any major sport. With the exception of maybe five programs (if it's even that many) you're only one bad season away from being irrelevant no matter how good you are now or how long you've been good.

Remember when Oregon was good? They were ranked in the teens just about two months ago. A #1 seed and Elite Eight in 2016, and a Final Four in 2017. Now their games don't even sell out and no one really thinks about them.

But, it works both ways. No matter how bad you are or how long you've sucked, you're just one season away from being nationally relevant. Two years ago Tennessee was basically shit.

It's kind of phenomenon. Teams can go from having scalpers sell their tickets for thousands of dollars one season to being completely forgotten in less than a year. And, vice versa. Like SMU, for instance. They're kind of an example of both ends.
    Great post, and I agree with you completely. Look at Tulsa, a team once regularly in the Sweet 16 (1994, 1995, and an Elite 8 in 2000) led by coaches Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, and Bill Self. Now, a HORRIFIC program in a terrible league. Also, similarly, a like-sized private University. Dissimilarly, they have football...barely.

I'm not suggesting there pedigree is anywhere near Xavier's, it clearly isn't, however, to support the post by XUBREW, it doesn't take much to fall completely off the radar.

Also worth noting that Tulsa has an endowment over $1 Billion -- about 6x Xavier's endowment.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Tulsa hired Frank Haith. Enough said.

Back to back wins coming off six straight losses. How are we feeling about winning 4 out 5 to finish out the season?
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOHTX View Post
    Back to back wins coming off six straight losses. How are we feeling about winning 4 out 5 to finish out the season?
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Ask me after Seton Hall, if we see the X team that showed up second half against Providence, definitely a chance, if we see the team that was on the 6 game skid, not too confident.

Bottom line, think they’re seeing something within themselves that’s been missing - confidence in a system with a new HC, understanding their new roles, and trust. Will they go 4-1 or 0-5 the rest of the year in conference - maybe?

Just nice to see a team not check out but improve.

It's really all about the Big East Tournament this year. Can we do what we've done, winning four days in a row (A10)? Someone with a better memory or search can tell the year. Can we do it in the Big East?

It's a crazy challenge, but of our years in the Big East, this would be the one. Nova's not unbeatable. We actually played them pretty well at their place. We were beating Seton Hall until we lost our shit. St. John's is a wild card, and we still have two with them before the tourney, but we're surely coming together at the right time of year!

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Ask me after Seton Hall, if we see the X team that showed up second half against Providence, definitely a chance, if we see the team that was on the 6 game skid, not too confident.

We beat Seton Hall @ The Hall and you will get a lot more true believers.

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    It's really all about the Big East Tournament this year. Can we do what we've done, winning four days in a row (A10)? Someone with a better memory or search can tell the year. Can we do it in the Big East?

It's a crazy challenge, but of our years in the Big East, this would be the one. Nova's not unbeatable. We actually played them pretty well at their place. We were beating Seton Hall until we lost our shit. St. John's is a wild card, and we still have two with them before the tourney, but we're surely coming together at the right time of year!
    We do this correctly and it will be 3 games in 3 days, not 4 games in 4 days.

Can we do this in the Big East?

Yes. We can do this.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick