Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Louisville Fans

Sophomore
    It's obviously a better job, I think he takes it if offered, and no one here could blame him for that. He'd likely more than double his salary. He'd leave his alma mater as the all-time winningest coach, having ushered us into the Big East, and having some of our best overall rosters. This job is his as long as he wants it, and that job security is rare in this line of work. He's also in his hometown, his kids are settled/etc.

But I could also see why that job would be appealing. Any coach at this high of a level is going to be a pretty competitive guy and moving up to Louisville is definitely a bigger challenge. Does anyone know if he has any aspirations to coach at the pro level someday? He's already cemented his legacy here, and I can see how it would be tempting to go to an even bigger program and try and accomplish the same on a bigger stage.

Junior
    Two items to think about:
    1. Why did we lose out on all of our main targets this year? Negative recruiting by all the schools we were recruiting against':hey you know Mack is leaving for Louisville.
    2. Things blow up at MSU, Izzo gets the boot, and Mack can go to a much less messy situation.
    I hope Mack stays. And I think he knows if he pulls off a National Championship this year they'll be a statue of him in front of Contas . He will be immortalized forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    1. Why did we lose out on all of our main targets this year? Negative recruiting by all the schools we were recruiting against':hey you know Mack is leaving for Louisville.
    2. Things blow up at MSU, Izzo gets the boot, and Mack can go to a much less messy situation.
    I hope Mack stays. And I think he knows if he pulls off a National Championship this year they'll be a statue of him in front of Contas . He will be immortalized forever.
    Didn’t the Louisville stuff happen after Xavier lost out on the recruits? I am pretty sure the negative recruiting happens every year with Chris taking a new job.

Schools have been doing that for years with the IU, OSU, etc. jobs. We lost out on recruits to Rhode Island, Iowa State, Syracuse, Wake, Illinois. All schools in worse situations than X. They just weren't able to close and/or bad luck. Shit happens and it happened a lot this recruiting year.

I bet a million dollars Chris isn’t going to be an NBA coach.......ever! Padgett is doing a great job at Louisville and
    Deserves a chance. I think they resign him. As far MSU, I would think they stay within the family. I don’t see Mack getting that job. However like it was mentioned above, we win a NC then everything changes. No matter what happens X will be fine. We have two coaches already in the making in Steele and Murray. So if Mack leaves it’s next man up. This is X people not VD.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I completely forgot about how close that game was and I was friggin there.
    Ha, when I read you say that every elite 8 game has been a blowout I was agreeing in my head, also forgetting about 2004, and I was also there. Trying to forget the pain I guess.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Ha, when I read you say that every elite 8 game has been a blowout I was agreeing in my head, also forgetting about 2004, and I was also there. Trying to forget the pain I guess.
    Never forgive. Never forget.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Regarding 1., I think it was more a case of X having less to promise having landed one the best classes in history this past year, while also having key contributors who are undercoassmen. Throw in the fickle nature of 17-18 years, and that accounts for the recruiting struggles.

Re. the topic at hand, like most things, the truth is between all of this.

Supporting Member
    I think if he is offered, there is a great chance he goes. At least would double his salary, stays in relatively the same geography, wife's family is there, and it's a top ten, maybe top 5 program. The infractions will go on for maybe 2-3 years in discussion etc and then no one will care or remember.

Oh and btw to the op...saying Louisville is not a step up from Xavier is really really stupid.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-28-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Junior
    This board has been debating if this is the best x team ever. It could be. But we all know next year will be a roller coaster. I think the timing is right for him to move on in that regard. I do think he loves Xavier and wants to be the coach to bring the final four and NC, but if he took the interview at Louisville it would be damn hard to turn down. You’re kidding yourself if you think that program is a notch or two above X. Biggest thing will be the sanctions but at the same time that buys the next coach a few years, too.