Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    We can beat Nova in this league.

Nova has played 4 away games in conference play.

DePaul - Win
    Butler - Loss
    Georgetown - Win
    St. Johns - Win

So in summary, Nova has gotten wins at the 3 weakest teams in the conference on the road, and the only tourney contender that they have played on the road in Big East play is Butler. They lost to Butler.

The still have road games against:

1/28 Marquette
    2/14 Providence
    2/17 Xavier
    2/24 Creighton
    2/28 Seton Hall

We are 2-2 on the road.

Wins at Marquette and Seton Hall, two fine teams.

Losses at Providence and Villanova.

Unlike Nova, we still play the bottom three teams, SJU, Georgetown & DePaul on the road.

Our road schedule:

1/30 St Johns
    2/6 Butler
    2/10 Creighton
    2/21 Georgetown
    3/3 DePaul

We can win this league. We are having a fantastic year. Our RPI is 4 and our SOS is 5. We are 18-3 and 6-2 in conference play. I expected us to contend for the title, and at half a game out of first we are doing just that.

What's more is that we are back on budget. I expected us to be 6-2 right now even as I imagined we would contend for the title. If anything, we are in a bit better shape because I would have had Nova at 6-0 right now instead of 5-1. We have played two more league games than they have and have one more win. So in a sense we are ahead of schedule from my projections and right where we want to be.

This is a tough league, and even coming in second place is gonna be a battle. It will be a battle all the way down to seventh in my opinion. You look at Nova's road schedule left and they have to run the gauntlet.

Nova is still the favorite, and we still control our own destiny. We have a better road schedule.

We also have to beat Nova at home. No way around that if we want the title. 2/17 is gonna be a big one.
    Providence is the difference. I am assuming a loss at Butler. Given that we are one full game behind cause they won't lay an egg at providence like we did. We beat providence 9 out of 10 games there. This team is outright better than them. That loss wrapped up the conference title for Nova. I would never say that in other seasons so early but Nova is just that good. Can't slip up like that and think your gonna overtake a team as good as Nova. Just gonna be happy with 2nd place which may even be good enough for a one seed depending on how things play out

Quote Originally Posted by XUOHTX View Post
    We're not ready to win this league. We're better than most teams but not by enough. Until we stop playing down to lesser teams, we're not ready. And I believe that's coaching.
    This is the worst post EVER on this or any previous board.

Coaching.....coaching....coaching. Don't you ever get tired of being a nattering nabobs of negativism? Must be exhausting, right?

(Note: This badly coached team is now 18-3)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by XUOHTX View Post
    I'm not talking about SH. I'm taking about the other teams that have given us trouble. When you are elite that doesn't happen as often. I think this has been a problem for years. I would love to see us get over that hump. Mack is great but this is the one issue is like to see him figure out.
    *Checks Top 25 Basketball records*
    *Sees NO undefeated teams*
    *Rechecks records*
    *Sees no teams that have NOT lost to an unranked team*

*Concludes that you are a cretin.*

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Providence is the difference. I am assuming a loss at Butler. Given that we are one full game behind cause they won't lay an egg at providence like we did. We beat providence 9 out of 10 games there. This team is outright better than them. That loss wrapped up the conference title for Nova. I would never say that in other seasons so early but Nova is just that good. Can't slip up like that and think your gonna overtake a team as good as Nova. Just gonna be happy with 2nd place which may even be good enough for a one seed depending on how things play out
    Could not disagree more. #1, Xavier has only won once in 5 tries up in Providence. That has always been a tough place to play, and if they can just get 1 or 2 road wins of note in the league, they'll be dancing as well.

#2 - Matchups seem to dictate a lot how Butler plays, home or away. They've beaten Nova 3 straight times, yet struggle like hell to beat teams like Xavier and Seton Hall. All 3 games against Butler were 50/50 games last season. Creighton is the tougher road game remaining for this team.

#3 - Defend home court and this team has a real shot at a share of the Big East title at a minimum. Will be curious to see how much energy gets expended in that game given that there will be a weekend bye after the game. Marquette is coming off of a bye themselves, but that's just luck of the draw when it comes to scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    To put it another way, Nova still plays 5 tournament contenders on the road. We play just 2.

Nova has a fantastic team. It won't be easy. I don't want it to be easy. We can do this.

We win the Big East and we will be in contention for a #1 seed.

That said, we have our hands full with Marquette coming up on Wednesday. I really like that Marquette team and I was damn glad to get out of Milwaukee with a W. They are dangerous.
    All I know is this.

Guys like Snipe, American X, Go Muskies, XBand, Nuts, the Coz (Fred Garvin, whatever), Muskie, XU87, Xeus, XU82, LA Muskie, PMThor, I and many others have been pushing our fingers on keyboards on Xavier message boards for over 20 years. We have been Die Hard Musketeer fans through thick and thin through (some) the MCC, the A10 and now this incredible league that we dreamed about forming back as far as the last century. Now we are here, have a legitimate shot at winning a regular season Championship in one of the Top 3 leagues in the Country, have a shot at winning a Tournament championship in the same league and have a Legitimate shot at, not just getting to a Final 4, but winning the whole Damn thing.

The Dream is REAL. We have the most tough minded, talented and deep team we have ever had at Xavier. We have a home grown coach who has been through all the wars and developed into an elite leader and we have an assistant staff that is way above competent.

Other than two years ago, we've never been near here before. But, now THIS YEAR, we're just where we dreamed to be when Dr. Bill Dailey saved the athletic program from Mulligans' Murder attempt in 1979. It's now been a Forty year climb to here, and like Father Hoff displayed with his glider shaped hand, the trajectory is still up.

Enjoy the ride, this team and our earned enhanced position in the CBB world. Let's get it!!

These things....are exactly like the others:

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    You need help. Or sarcasm font. (And I sincerely hope it’s the latter.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're saying this doesn't happen? Mack literally said we had an intensity problem after our back to back losses. That includes Providence and the team we're trying to displace.

Yesterday at SH was the intensity we need every game.
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    You know we are 1-5 at Providence since joining the Big East right?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    This is the worst post EVER on this or any previous board.

Coaching.....coaching....coaching. Don't you ever get tired of being a nattering nabobs of negativism? Must be exhausting, right?

(Note: This badly coached team is now 18-3)
    I'm definitely not perpetually negative. I like to think I'm realistic and level headed. I'm also responding to Mack's own words. I didn't say Mack couldn't do it or wouldn't. I'm saying I agree with our coach. It's an issue that needs to be fixed.

In the A10 we could rely on superior talent. We can't do that now and to be a consistent BE champion there is a hump we need to get over.
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    These things....are exactly like the others:

Reps for the pics (damn 'the MAN').
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.