Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    St. John’s (Tariq Owens) only had 4 blocks! I would have put the O/U at 10 so this is another win. Judging by CM’s halftime interview it sounds like launching 3s was the game plan. That’s a pretty big adjustment to our typical style of play. Considering the refs were letting them play and not calling the block/charge at all it could have gotten ugly with their length.

I didn't put us on their level, just said like Nova, since we are the #2 team in the conference via ranking we are going to get everyone's best shot like Nova will.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

Hell, teams probably bring it harder against us than they do against Nova, because they know they've actually got a shot against us. Nova? Not so much.

I thought X played a good game yesterday. I thought SJU just made a LOT of tough and contested shots.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I thought X played a good game yesterday. I thought SJU just made a LOT of tough and contested shots.
    The defense wasn't great until the past 7 minutes, but frankly, it wasn't really bad either. SJU was getting some open looks, but when they weren't, they were hitting tough, contested shots like you said. For example, SJU's 11-11 start to the second half included a lot of contested midrange jumpers, the ideal shot for a defense. They kept making them.

The offense was great. SJU has a good defensive team, and Xavier put up a lot of points on it and did so by repeatedly creating open looks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I would say the 10 turnover differential was the reason the game was so tight. You're generally going to lose when turning the ball over 15 times to your opponent's 5. On the other hand, you're generally going to win when shooting 14 of 26 from 3. I'm glad the latter generality prevailed.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    The defense wasn't great until the past 7 minutes, but frankly, it wasn't really bad either. SJU was getting some open looks, but when they weren't, they were hitting tough, contested shots like you said. For example, SJU's 11-11 start to the second half included a lot of contested midrange jumpers, the ideal shot for a defense. They kept making them.

The offense was great. SJU has a good defensive team, and Xavier put up a lot of points on it and did so by repeatedly creating open looks.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    I should add that I thought the 2-3 zone X went to with about 15 minutes to go in the second half was awful. I could be wrong, but I can't recall the 2-3 being effective any other time they used it this year.

And I will add one more thing- RPI is now at 5.

We had 15 TO's at Providence.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    We had 15 TO's at Providence.
    Did we win?

I'd have to say that St Johns is the best no win team in the conference. I have watched a few of their games and I thought that they were always tough with tons of energy but a little undisciplined. Streetballers like UC, WVU or such.