Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    WE HAVE BECOME WHAT HE HATED - SNUBBING OUR NOSES AT OTHERS.
    Other than Wichita State (and UConn's first year in the AAC with Big East recruits), please explain how any of those others are doing anything comparable to what Xavier did in the Matta/Miller/Mack years that fueled our escape from the A-10? UC is the closest second, and they have been to the Sweet Sixteen once in the last 17 years. Kind of where Xavier was when Matta showed up. No one was thinking of rescuing us from the A-10 in those days.

Agree it is rather offensive. How dare XU posters snub so called lesser schools & conferences. We were one of those until we joined the BE. If Butler, Creighton & XU don't join the BE - then the BE might have become a lesser conference. The AAC has former BE members UConn & UC, Mo Val power Wichita St, A10 power Temple, CUSA power Memphis and very comparable to our old A10. Dayton has played in several Elite 8s plus lost to UCLA in the 67 Finals. WE HAVE BECOME WHAT HE HATED - SNUBBING OUR NOSES AT OTHERS. Go NKU, my new local school doing what we did 30 yrs ago. But I don't want UD or any other schools added to the BE. Fox Sports or other TV can possibly override the Conference wishes not to expand.
    Actually I was snubbing my nose at ud. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

How dare XU posters snub so called lesser schools & conferences.
    Easily...we were the flagship of the A-10, and carried that conference on our backs for over a decade. We needed a better conference, and found one. Xavier actually cares about its basketball program, and sets aside resources to help us continue to improve.

The hell with dayton and the "lesser schools & conferences". They hate us cause they AIN'T us!!

They can all eat a bag of BBQ flavored dicks!!
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    For the sake of discussion...and I am in no way serious about this, but it would possibly be of value...

- add Fordham University (Catholic / The have football, but that seems to already be squared away in the Patriot League)

- get them some money to build some damn facilities

- hope we can get a bigger lock on the NYC metro region, as that still holds sway with some players, being a media and sports capital.

I know the program was hopeless forever and their gym is perhaps not equal to some high schools, but as a school they do hit certain Big East criteria. I'd worry if they did struggle to improve if that would drag the conference overall. Again, not serious, but I'd find this more interesting than Dayton or St. Louis.
    Even if Fordham had a program and an AD/President with a pulse, it's not going to happen when they place a higher emphasis on football than basketball. Hell, UConn would solidify the NYC market more than Fordham would.

Agree it is rather offensive. How dare XU posters snub so called lesser schools & conferences. We were one of those until we joined the BE. If Butler, Creighton & XU don't join the BE - then the BE might have become a lesser conference. The AAC has former BE members UConn & UC, Mo Val power Wichita St, A10 power Temple, CUSA power Memphis and very comparable to our old A10. Dayton has played in several Elite 8s plus lost to UCLA in the 67 Finals. WE HAVE BECOME WHAT HE HATED - SNUBBING OUR NOSES AT OTHERS. Go NKU, my new local school doing what we did 30 yrs ago. But I don't want UD or any other schools added to the BE. Fox Sports or other TV can possibly override the Conference wishes not to expand.
    You're also forgetting what drives expansion now. It's not just on-court merit, but it's also bringing in new markets to the league. UConn not only increases the metro NYC market but also brings more of a New England presence. At the same time, one of the reasons that the New Big East chose Creighton over Saint Louis was to not completely pillage the A-10, either.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    This is a UD pipe dream. Two and only 2 schools make sense. As one said before when Uconn wants to stop pretending football matters there then they come back for history sake. After that only one school makes sense and that is Wichita State to give Creighton a more natural rival. No other schools including UD even have a chance and quite honestly I'm 100% against any expansion. This is the best conference for basketball in America
    Wichita State would not garner the necessary 7 votes for expansion - that's why they ultimately accepted an invite to the American. There's also the possibility that they add FBS football in the next decade - that would be the ultimate deal-breaker if they were on the table.

That's a lot of power right there, but most of that power was back in the 80's and 90's. And bringing up Dayton's loss in the 67 NCAA's? Really, just go back to the Dayton board already.

And how dare you snub schools like Jacksonville (the school not the city - trademark, XU87), San Francisco, Indiana State, Rutgers and UNC Charlotte?

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    There's also the possibility that they add FBS football in the next decade - that would be the ultimate deal-breaker if they were on the table.
    Now that Wichita State is in the American without having to add football, there is an approximately 0% chance they add football. Unless they go to the next 4 Final Fours and win a national championship, I can't imagine the Big East having much interest in expanding into Wichita in any event.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    Never end a sentence with a preposition unless you have to.
    That antiquated is no longer required to be complied with!

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Now that Wichita State is in the American without having to add football, there is an approximately 0% chance they add football. Unless they go to the next 4 Final Fours and win a national championship, I can't imagine the Big East having much interest in expanding into Wichita in any event.
    I kind of like the thought of SLU. But mostly because it's a driveable road game. SLU would love to get out of the A-10 at this point. Their closest game for all sports is UD.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I kind of like the thought of SLU. But mostly because it's a driveable road game. SLU would love to get out of the A-10 at this point. Their closest game for all sports is UD.
    I'm with you on this one, if we go to 11 and UConn won't give up football.
    Market wise, geography wise, and institutional wise it seems like the perfect fit.
    If they had just kept on the Majerus trajectory things would be a lot easier.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.