Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    What does UD add in terms of increased revenue for the league? From everything I've heard, If UD joins the BE, revenues will be decreased for each team because there are more mouths to feed. Fox tv revenue doesn't increase if two more teams join the league.
    I'm pretty sure this is not correct. There is room in the Fox contract to add up to 2 more teams, and have the same revenue for each team.

As to adding 2, I keep thinking if we do add, it'll be 1 team. That would leave us with the round robin and a new 20 game conference schedule that the ACC and Big 10 are already moving to. (ending sentence with preposition)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xuinmd View Post
    My ud friend tells me there is renewed chatter at ud regarding their joining the big east. It might makes sense with Georgetown, DePaul and St Johns showing improvement. The conference might want a new whipping boy. Seriously, I don't think it will ever happen because so many members want to keep a school in their marketing area out that these schools form a coalition against expansion.
    So their sales pitch is, "We stink, so you should let us in. Your league needs more bad teams like us."? Nice try.

Unfortunately for UD, they probably missed their window. With Archie gone, the season they're having so far, and being in close proximity to Xavier... They realistically bring nothing to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    So their sales pitch is, "We stink, so you should let us in. Your league needs more bad teams like us."? Nice try.
    If you've ever spent any time on the Holy Land of Hoops board, you'd know that there is a Bona fan who has been making that exact pitch for a while now. It's quite goofy.

I think that the BE is content with the round robin/home and home format that 10 teams provides. This sounds like something that ud fans create in the alternative basketball universe in which they live. The BE has begun hitting its stride the past couple of years. A national champion, great OOC conference record, several Top 25 teams and decent NCAA tourney performance, apart form Villanova's NC. The flyers are pretty much stuck in the A-10 or some other lesser conference than the BE.
    Pray the Rosary daily

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    By that logic, we could just add Saint Louis and Duquesne!

Anyone here know what the Fox Sport channel brings to the BE monetarily?
    Is it all shared equally among 10 teams?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    It's either $3 million or $5 million that each school gets via the deal. The deal runs through the 2022-23 season.

For UConn, this is the next to last year they get NCAA Tournament units from the Old Big East. They will also reap the benefits of NCAA Tournament units for 3 more years from their 2014 national championship along with units that Louisville, Memphis and Cincinnati earned that year as well. Ever since that year, the American has been more on par with the Atlantic 10.

I'm not sure how many more years are remaining that they get the rewards of exit fees from the Old Big East.

Our league is fine how it is, we're looking at 7 teams possibly getting in. If we're adding anybody, they better be teams that can raise the profile of the league, nobody needs UD to beat the living hell out of each year

Haven't thought this one all the way through with comic intent yet, but here is a version of a best possible outcome with this:

1. Anthony Grant stays at VD for 5 more years, achieving enough success not to fire him.

2. "Success" means different things to different people. For VD fans, success over the next five years means making it to the NCAA Tournament and losing immediately once and advancing to the second round of the NIT once. It also means at least one year of being co-champs in the A10 with Fordham. It finally means that red sweater vest inventories are made a priority at the bookstore.

3. As 2023 dawns, it becomes clear that the great NBE experiment as pursued by the C7 was no experiment at all. The redefined Big East simply kept juggernauting along to sustain itself as one of the top 3 basketball conferences in the nation. Expansion, even for the purpose of establishing 20 conference games per season, simply isn't necessary; it actually would be a remarkable mistake to change what has been a very successful format. The 10 team, round robin format wins hands down.

4. VD is desperate for change, because, among many other issues with the A10, the lead paint in Gola Arena, which LaSalle refuses to remove, is making the VD players sicker than they were made from Philly Cheesesteaks.

5. The AAC, also a hot mess that never went anywhere in football and will go nowhere in football, reaches out to VD with an invitation for membership.

6. So, now VD and UC have to play home and home. Cronin is still at UC, coaching from a wheelchair because he blew a gasket after losing to Xavier five more times in a row.

7. VD proudly soaks up half the seats in the 5/3 Arena because UC attendance has been dwindling since 2018. BTW, another benchmark for VD success - fan support of crap hoops.

8. A bench clearing brawl ensues.

9. Rinse and repeat when the game is played in Dayton.

10. The home team NEVER wins a game in the series.

11. Both teams never do better than East Carolina in the conference standings.

Note: this was possibly a waste of 10 minutes of my life.
    X A V I E R