Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    I had forgotten about South Carolina and Oregon. When someone mentioned South Carolina, the light bulb went off and I remembered their run. However, I don't remember a thing about Oregon last year. Did they beat Kansas after our game that Saturday? I think I was pretty tired, pissed and drunk at that point.

I'm also getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it
    Heard leaving a cabinet meeting....
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I guess seeds matter but not for the causation reason you seem to be implying. Top seeds don't cause teams to do well in the tournament. Rather, the best teams secure the top seeds and one from the group of best teams almost always win the title (while a dozen or so similarly situated teams lose). If instead of giving the 12 best teams from the regular seasons the top seeds you told them they had to play the tournament in pink uniforms, at the end of the tournament you would be saying, "you know, over the years, teams that wear pink uniforms really do well in the tournament. Pink uniforms matter. They matter a lot. Statistically speaking, pink uniforms matter greatly."
    It’s simple, the probability of winning a championship increases greatly for those seeded 1-3. The probability is based solely on the number, there are many other variables that affect wether or not a team wins it all. The original poster states seeds don’t matter, based on the fact not all #1 seeds win the tournament.

The thing with statistics is you can make inferences to fit your opinion, based on what ever criteria you use. I can see one thing, while someone else sees the polar opposite.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Freshman
    Wasn't Butler an 8 seed & UConn a 9 seed in the Finals in 2014-15. Odds are better for 1-3 seeds, but any given year you can throw the odds out the window. Esp with the 3 pt line.

Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    Wasn't Butler an 8 seed & UConn a 9 seed in the Finals in 2014-15. Odds are better for 1-3 seeds, but any given year you can throw the odds out the window. Esp with the 3 pt line.
    YOU WANT TO BE A TOP 4 SEED!!!

Frequency of seed appearances in Final Four
    SEED FINAL FOUR CHAMP. GAME NATIONAL CHAMP.
    1 54 32 20
    2 28 12 5
    3 15 10 4
    4 13 3 1
    5 6 3 0
    6 3 2 1
    7 3 1 1
    8 5 3 1
    9 1 0 0
    10 1 0 0
    11 3 0 0
    12 0 0 0
    13 0 0 0
    14 0 0 0
    15 0 0 0
    16 0 0 0
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Sophomore
    I have a great deal of admiration for the people sticking to this "seed doesn't matter" argument regardless of the mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    I have a great deal of admiration for the people sticking to this "seed doesn't matter" argument regardless of the mountains of evidence to the contrary.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    It happens sure, but those are the exceptions to the rule. If you are a lower seed, it doesn't mean you can't win it all, but history shows, the likelihood is better with higher seeds.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    I've asked about a dozen active college basketball fans I know in the past few days and literally not one could name all four teams from last year's final four.
    I've polled about a dozen so called Xavier Basketball fans in the past few days and none of them had ever heard of Brad Noble, Tyson Brit, Nate Turner or Kevin Carr. But they all came on board after the turn of the century so that explains why.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    If not for Tyson Brit, Xavier's streak of .500 conference seasons or better gets snapped in 1996:

Last edited by X-band '01; 01-13-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: 1995-96 season