Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Can't stand this guy but besides that, I do not see it as being viable. This cannot be a hobby for investors, it has to make money and the only way to do that is through sponsorship, tickets/concession, and TV revenue.

I do not see all these things happening.
    Zip'em Up!

If all of X & UC’s players quit tomorrow, formed their own for-profit teams named the Norwood Swords & the Clifton Bears and then scheduled a game at a neutral site with tickets going for over $100 a piece, do you really think they’d even come close to selling out? I’d bet everything I have on no.

The reason college sports sell out is not because of the product on the floor/field. It sells out is because of the name on the front of the jersey. Said another way: The moment a high school senior signs with X, I instantly have something in common with him.

No way anyone plops down their hard earned money to watch the 3rd best pro basketball league featuring players you’ve never heard of from cities you’ve never been to. Even if all the best 18-22 year olds are playing in the league it will still be outdrawn by college basketball being played with walk-on level talent.
    Last edited by Blue Blooded-05; 12-21-2017 at 03:41 PM.
    "It's like X wasn't given enough to do, so they had to promise it more. Okay, you don't start a lot of words, but we'll give you a co-starring role in tic-tac-toe. And you will be associated with hugs and kisses. And you will mark the spot. And you will make writing Christmas easier." -Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    If all of X & UC’s players quit tomorrow, formed their own for-profit teams named the Norwood Swords & the Clifton Bears and then scheduled a game at a neutral site with tickets going for over $100 a piece, do you really think they’d even come close to selling out? I’d bet everything I have on no.

The reason college sports sell out is not because of the product on the floor/field. It sells out is because of the name on the front of the jersey. Said another way: The moment a high school senior signs with X, I instantly have something in common with him.

No way anyone plops down their hard earned money to watch the 3rd best pro basketball league featuring players you’ve never heard of from cities you’ve never been to. Even if all the best 18-22 year olds are playing in the league it will still be outdrawn by college basketball being played with walk-on level talent.
    I mean there are certainly some who follow recruiting and HS basketball (or football for that matter), but that's usually in relation to a college or NBA team. I occasionally go to the summer league games in Indy to see Justin Cage play. However, he and I have a connection. I wouldn't necessarily go watch two teams of players I wasn't interested in seeing. If I did, I can't imagine I'd go more than once or twice. Certainly not in a season type package.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

By the “UCLA situation”, do you mean his son being a thief? And a stupid thief at that for doing it in a foreign country? I can get past the kid’s mistakes far easier than I can come to terms with the idiot father.

This is one of my "If I had a billion dollars" idea. I don't know that $10,000 is enough, though. I was thinking more along the lines of $100,000 for maybe 10 of the top 20 recruits, the rest could play for smaller change. If you steal the half of the top recruits, I think you'd get some buzz for your league. I think $100,000 is enough for them to skip college to play in a league designed to prepare them for the next level.

I'd have only 5 or 6 teams in a specific geographical area too, not spread around the country. Either somewhere glamourous like LA or in the middle of nowhere like North Dakota. Beyond the recruits you have G-League level guys/guys who did not get drafted- I have a feeling there are enough around. There would be an age limit, like 24, with maybe an exemption for one older vet per team who can teach the young guys about life in the league.

Obviously, I think a league like this is possible. I don't think it will work if the motivation is for one guy to get attention for himself and his kids.

Of course, this would all be after this:
    https://youtu.be/4lmW2tZP2kU

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    This is one of my "If I had a billion dollars" idea. I don't know that $10,000 is enough, though. I was thinking more along the lines of $100,000 for maybe 10 of the top 20 recruits, the rest could play for smaller change. If you steal the half of the top recruits, I think you'd get some buzz for your league. I think $100,000 is enough for them to skip college to play in a league designed to prepare them for the next level.

I'd have only 5 or 6 teams in a specific geographical area too, not spread around the country. Either somewhere glamourous like LA or in the middle of nowhere like North Dakota. Beyond the recruits you have G-League level guys/guys who did not get drafted- I have a feeling there are enough around. There would be an age limit, like 24, with maybe an exemption for one older vet per team who can teach the young guys about life in the league.

Obviously, I think a league like this is possible. I don't think it will work if the motivation is for one guy to get attention for himself and his kids.

Of course, this would all be after this:
    https://youtu.be/4lmW2tZP2kU
    Where does that money come from? I’m thinking gyms that look like decent high school games. They make money if they have decent hot dogs. (I actually know the good gyms, and miss them!)