Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    [QUOTE=Muskeagle;603827]
    Quote Originally Posted by mid major View Post

I think the 1-3-1 affected their pace. The two smaller guards were having difficulty finding their way around Naji and getting into the lane. Not saying they didn't intend to slow up some, but they clearly had trouble finding answers to that zone.
    It also helped when Bradford picked up his 4th foul with 14:47 left in the second half.

[QUOTE=Juice;603829]
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskeagle View Post

It also helped when Bradford picked up his 4th foul with 14:47 left in the second half.
    That sure helped! It’s nice when you can lose your backup PG, and then #3 in JP and still be deep enough to survive. Good teams have a few good players - great teams have guys who can come in and do enough you STILL win the game.

Yup...good point.
    We've been working hard the whole year...we're staying focused and keeping it one game at a time. --Justin Cage

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I'm glad we played zone in the second half, but damn, what took so long? It was obvious we were in trouble early because we couldn't guard their quickness and playmaking ability. These are the type of matchups that will destroy a great season early in the tournament. Swallow your pride and zone up earlier against these type of teams.

St Johns will be like this too.
    I'm not sure if it's necessarily pride. Think long term. The fact is that Xavier needs to be able to play effective man-to-man defense against teams who are like this but who also can break the 1-3-1. Developing that defense involves growing pains, and I think Mack was trying to get his guys some experience under pressure. Ultimately, it's unfortunate that they needed the 1-3-1 to cut into the deficit against a team outside the top 100.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's necessarily pride. Think long term. The fact is that Xavier needs to be able to play effective man-to-man defense against teams who are like this but who also can break the 1-3-1. Developing that defense involves growing pains, and I think Mack was trying to get his guys some experience under pressure. Ultimately, it's unfortunate that they needed the 1-3-1 to cut into the deficit against a team outside the top 100.

This is the kind of game that can derail a tournament run in the first weekend. Better to have that happen in December and deal with it successfully, than become an upset highlight for One Shining Moment.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post

Agree - plus Mack probably doesn't a bunch of zone on tape for other coaches to study.

Bunch of teams are using the 1-3-1 now. I think Iona was playing it some today against St. John's.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Bunch of teams are using the 1-3-1 now. I think Iona was playing it some today against St. John's.
    East Tennessee State acted like they had never seen it before. As far as Xavier is concerned it was the first time this year that it was really effective.

I just watched the second half again. Naji was incredible- for ANY player, much less a freshman. How huge was Karem? Fresh off the bench- nails 3 then rebounds the miss to set up Tre. CMack’s coaching the last 10 was the best I’ve ever seen. Amazing in all respects.

And Marshall maybe the most impressive Freshman OUT OF THE BOX that I’ve seen at X since BLark
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Has anyone had a chance to watch ETSU since December? (Their last loss) They are destroying the Southern Conference. They will be battle tested assuming they don’t have a hiccup in the SoCon tournament and would be a tough out in the dance.