Thread: De-fense

De-fense

https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/...-tyrique-jones

I assume most of you have read the banners article on the defensive rebounding, and it has been discussed to some extent before.

The conclusion of the article is that it probably, or may not matter since the offense is so good it should overcome this deficiency and it could be a result in the up tempo style of offense they are running.

It also mentions that these deficiencies just remove them from elite status to, perhaps, "next tier", and not as huge a drop-off as perceived.

On the one hand it seems encouraging that they have not dropped off too much and that the offence more than makes up for it.

But I also wonder what will happen in physical BE play and subsequent tournament play.
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 12-13-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Xavier is #40 in the nation in FG% Defense, holding opponents to .389% from the field. That is 3rd in the BE, behind St. John's & G'Town, but the Hoyas haven't played a team with a pulse yet.

Xavier is 2nd in the BE is 3-Point FG% Defense, with teams shooting just .301% from three against them this year.

I think those defensive numbers are more important than rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/...-tyrique-jones

I assume most of you have read the banners article on the defensive rebounding, and it has been discussed to some extent before.

The conclusion of the article is that it probably, or may not matter since the offense is so good it should overcome this deficiency and it could be a result in the up tempo style of offense they are running.

It also mentions that these deficiencies just remove them from elite status to, perhaps, "next tier", and not as huge a drop-off as perceived.

On the one hand it seems encouraging that they have not dropped off too much and that the offence more than makes up for it.

But I also wonder what will happen in physical BE play and subsequent tournament play.
    Based on that write-up I'm not really convinced it's a problem yet. The main evidence presented is our defensive rebounding rate ranking between this year and last. We're only 10 games into the season, that's a small sample. You could chalk that up to plain old variance or that some of the 116 teams ranked above us play patty-cake non-conference schedules.

I'd be interested to know how our actual rate compares to this time last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Based on that write-up I'm not really convinced it's a problem yet. The main evidence presented is our defensive rebounding rate ranking between this year and last. We're only 10 games into the season, that's a small sample. You could chalk that up to plain old variance or that some of the 116 teams ranked above us play patty-cake non-conference schedules.

Also, the packline against inferior teams really forces those teams into bad three-point attempts. Those missed shots have a habit of bouncing over the heads of X players when they're successfully boxing out. At the moment, inferior teams make up a disproportionate portion of the schedule.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Also, the packline against inferior teams really forces those teams into bad three-point attempts. Those missed shots have a habit of bouncing over the heads of X players when they're successfully boxing out. At the moment, inferior teams make up a disproportionate portion of the schedule.
    Yes, the article seems pretty meaningless without taking the above into consideration. It's like, "I'll look at Kenpom and come up with something." A real article on this would have taking the above into consideration, listed a bunch of plays where we missed a rebound while one of our guys was running back on offense. Where are we on allowing 2nd chance points ... that's where it matters. Oh, that's not a stat Kenpom tracks and that would require real work to look at that.

With that said, I like that we don't foul a lot. So we also don't force many turnovers. Did anyone else notice that we were doing more during the Colorado game towards picking off / denying passes / going for steals? There's some balance and in Mack I trust ... it was just something that I noticed during the last game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post

That was part of what I thought the writer of the article concluded that whatever problem may exist - statistically speaking (statistic, damn statistics and lies being what they are) are outweighed by offense (and I would add, as others have mentioned, other areas of defense besides strictly defensive rebounding).

Only time, and expert analysis supplied by many here - and the ensuing carefully considered discussion and friendly, thoughtful debate - will tell.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.