Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    People tend to forget that OTHER teams lose talented seniors too. X won’t need to compete against the talent the opposition has THIS year, they will be competing against the talent that other teams have NEXT year. They will be fine.

Supporting Member
    Can't we just table this discussion until after we cut down the nets in April? I say we enjoy what is happening right now....

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieXU View Post
    How many teams are we going to play all of next year that have more talent than Goodin, Jones, Gates, Scruggs, and Marshall? Maybe two or three? Obviously talent doesn’t equal wins but I still think we should be a borderline Top 25 team next year with even more upside.
    Also, we need to wait I see how Elias Harden develops. Many times a team with 6 or 7 players that can produce, on an average, between 7 - 12 points a game are as successful as teams with 2-3 studs than average between 12-20 points a game. Hopefully no one transfers from XU and we can get one more scoring threat.
    May the X be with you....Quitting is never an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Gotta stay healthy and avoid any drama in the off season, but Scruggs, Goodin, Jones, Gates and Marshall will beat A LOT of teams, especially with the experience gain from this year. Marinating in the presence of Tre/JP this season will certainly pay HUGE dividends for all of the above next year......+ EVAN! BTW Naji Marshall is going to be a MAJOR STAR in the BEast. He is Derrick Brown all over again!!!
    I agree with the next man up philosophy. It will be time for the next Xavier stars to emerge. Some have begun to already, as in Gates and Marshall,and perhaps even Q (coach's comments on him after the Colorado game, not about his game play necessarily, but the talent, drive and character...and tremendous upside were interesting and enlightening - made me feel like we have just scratched the surface of this kid's abilities - Mack may have even indicated as such).

Scruggs is not necessarily a concern at this point, but it is hard to put him in that category at this point. Time will tell.

Speaking of Scruggs - the general consensus is the he and Q will play together the bulk of their minutes....at least starting, which makes sense. If they play together for most of the minutes, who will spell them.

New stars will emerge from the newcomers - Evan most likely to a .lesser extent, DJ and even less perhaps Walter...but you never know. It seems like players in general are coming more ready or developing more quickly - especially the bigs. This is what makes this recruiting cycle a bit of a concern, admittedly.

There is a piece (or two) to fill in yet.

Mack and co. will provide.

WE ARE

XU
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Gotta stay healthy and avoid any drama in the off season, but Scruggs, Goodin, Jones, Gates and Marshall will beat A LOT of teams, especially with the experience gain from this year. Marinating in the presence of Tre/JP this season will certainly pay HUGE dividends for all of the above next year......+ EVAN! BTW Naji Marshall is going to be a MAJOR STAR in the BEast. He is Derrick Brown all over again!!!
    Naji is far more developed than Derrick was at this same stage of his college career. I agree he will be a star and sooner than Derrick was.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    We desperately need some shooting. Even with the 4 new guys coming in, I only feel good about Gates for next year. We still have 3 more open spots to potentially fill and I think Mack HAS to find a 5th year guy who can score/shoot.
    Agree 100% need an outside threat other than Gates.
    Hope another grad transfer will come in at shooting guard. We have pg loaded, small forward is Gates. Front court will be good.

Sophomore
    I think a lot of people on this board are in for a rude awakening next year. JP and Tre have been go-to guys for a few years, that's very hard to replace, especially with essentially a group of role players. We have some talent, but like others have said, not much shooting, and a lot of young guys in key roles and just about everyone in a brand new role. It's gonna take some time to figure out and it's gonna be messy. Getting to the tournament would be a successful season IMO.

Also, its' wayyyy too early to think about this, so maybe let's just enjoy this season and worrying about the rebuild later?

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    I think a lot of people on this board are in for a rude awakening next year. JP and Tre have been go-to guys for a few years, that's very hard to replace, especially with essentially a group of role players. We have some talent, but like others have said, not much shooting, and a lot of young guys in key roles and just about everyone in a brand new role. It's gonna take some time to figure out and it's gonna be messy. Getting to the tournament would be a successful season IMO.

Also, its' wayyyy too early to think about this, so maybe let's just enjoy this season and worrying about the rebuild later?
    Can't argue with this. Like you said...way to earlier.

Can't we worry about rebuilding AND enjoy the season at the same time?
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

It’s not against NCAA rules for a player to let a friend/teammate/recruit borrow a few bucks is it?

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    It’s not against NCAA rules for a player to let a friend/teammate/recruit borrow a few bucks is it?
    Just a friend, just a teammate....no

A player being recruited....yes

In fact, as an alumni it is “technically” against NCAA rules for me to buy a current team member or a potential recruit anything....even a coke.....let alone lend them momey. Even if we were friends or teammates before I became an alumni. It would also be against NCAA rules for a current team member to do the same for a potential recruit...technically.