Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    4 of the 5 starters on the 02-03 team ended up getting drafted by NBA teams: West, Sato, Chalmers & Dave Young.

Pretty amazing, especially since a very competent Anthony Myles was the 5th starter. Still probably the best rebounding X team of all time. What hurt that team was a lack of depth and over reliance on West.
    Young played in only 10 games of that 2002-2003 season averaging approximately 5 points. While it's true he transferred and was drafted by the Sonics, I don't recall him being a force.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Young played in only 10 games of that 2002-2003 season averaging approximately 5 points. While it's true he transferred and was drafted by the Sonics, I don't recall him being a force.
    Who replaced Young?

I don’t think chalmers or Myles had particularly great seasons either. It’s hard to make a case for 03 as the best team ever because they didn’t have the best regular season ever, that would be 2015, and they didn’t have a great postseason. They also don’t have a stretch of games where they were completely dominating teams.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    Who replaced Young?
    We had plenty of benchwarmers through the years who ably filled Young's role at Xavier. I don't ever recall the bench flying up in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    And he only got drafted because Nate McMillan's brother coached Dave at NCCU and got Young a workout with the Sonics.

Sophomore
    This is a very premature thread. It certainly could be the best by the end of the season, but as a few posters noted, the 15 and 8 teams will be very hard to pass. I think the Big East is gonna be pretty tough, and going to Northern Iowa will not be easy, there's still a lot to learn about this team. I do think this starting 5 would beat most 5s we've had, since they complement each other well and can score in a million ways. I am a bit concerned about our backcourt and bench. We have some solid bigs off the bench, but we will need more from Marshall and especially Scruggs as the season progresses. He doesn't look comfortable running the offense when Q is out, and while we are big and long, I think we're always gonna struggle against teams with good, quick guards.

I think the biggest thing, being so early in the season and not having many players, is staying healthy.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    This is a very premature thread. It certainly could be the best by the end of the season, but as a few posters noted, the 15 and 8 teams will be very hard to pass. I think the Big East is gonna be pretty tough, and going to Northern Iowa will not be easy, there's still a lot to learn about this team. I do think this starting 5 would beat most 5s we've had, since they complement each other well and can score in a million ways. I am a bit concerned about our backcourt and bench. We have some solid bigs off the bench, but we will need more from Marshall and especially Scruggs as the season progresses. He doesn't look comfortable running the offense when Q is out, and while we are big and long, I think we're always gonna struggle against teams with good, quick guards.

I think the biggest thing, being so early in the season and not having many players, is staying healthy.
    Not having many players? We are 9.5 players deep as nine guys are averaging 13 minutes or more. This is the best team X has ever had - on paper. It will be very interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. I think people put too much stock in The Dance to determine a team's worth. Too many times you run into a buzz saw (particularly with the three point shot) and it is one and your done. While I would rather have an phenomenal regular season and a great Tourney run, if we aren't going to win it all, I would rather have a great regular season. Three months of fun is much better than a couple of weeks (unless you meet the right woman!).
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Junior
    Really? I would take last year full season over 2015 full season every day. Nothing better than the week between 2nd/3rd round. (Well, until we get that week between elite 8/Final Four)

I agree a bit with markchal. I think that this can be Xavier's best team, but in order to be the best team we've ever had, I think our backup guards have to get bettter. I think collectively, this is up there with the best front court we've had. Great depth, can beat you in multiple ways.

Regardless, this is a great team. Enjoy every moment this year, because you don't get to watch players like Tre very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Really? I would take last year full season over 2015 full season every day. Nothing better than the week between 2nd/3rd round. (Well, until we get that week between elite 8/Final Four)
    I agree. Last year was way more fun than '15.

But this was about the best team. And '15 was better. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.