Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhelmes37 View Post
    I agree. Last year was way more fun than '15.

But this was about the best team. And '15 was better. Of course, that's just one man's opinion.
    Last year was only fun for the last two weekends, three if you want to include the Big East tournament. Besides that the other 80% of the season was pretty miserable.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BandDad View Post
    Not having many players? We are 9.5 players deep as nine guys are averaging 13 minutes or more. This is the best team X has ever had - on paper. It will be very interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out. I think people put too much stock in The Dance to determine a team's worth. Too many times you run into a buzz saw (particularly with the three point shot) and it is one and your done. While I would rather have an phenomenal regular season and a great Tourney run, if we aren't going to win it all, I would rather have a great regular season. Three months of fun is much better than a couple of weeks (unless you meet the right woman!).
    I think it's pretty misleading to say we're 9.5 deep. Harden rarely plays unless we're about 20-25 in the second half. Marshall has shown promise and has been our best frosh, but Scruggs seems uncomfortable running the offense for prolonged stretches and those two have been fairly careless with the ball. It's definitely a 9-man rotation, but I think we're closer to an 8.5 rotation than a 9.5.

My bigger point was though we only have those 10 guys, right? Am I forgetting about another scholarship guy? If we had an injury to anyone other than a center, that would be pretty taxing on our rotation. Staying healthy is gonna be the biggest key to having success this year (mostly because we have a lot of developed, experienced guys and we're already playing at a high level).

The elite 8 run quickly made people forget how miserable it was for a preseason top 10 team to lose 10 out of 15 games at one point. 2015 was a much more enjoyable season. Running Dayton out of the gym, smacking UC, besting #1 Villanova, getting Xavier’s highest seed ever. The whole season get like a coming out party as Xavier being an elite program. I’d also argue it was more important to the program long term, but I’m not totally convinced of that compared to an Elite 8.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieXU View Post
    The elite 8 run quickly made people forget how miserable it was for a preseason top 10 team to lose 10 out of 15 games at one point. 2015 was a much more enjoyable season. Running Dayton out of the gym, smacking UC, besting #1 Villanova, getting Xavier’s highest seed ever. The whole season get like a coming out party as Xavier being an elite program. I’d also argue it was more important to the program long term, but I’m not totally convinced of that compared to an Elite 8.
    This all (quote and thread in general) really speaks not only to "the season is a lifetime" mantra, but also that the season is many parts - and each of those parts has a level of importance / significance that speaks to individual fans/supporters/followers in different ways and to varying degrees.

The non-conference schedule has its level of significance in that it sets up the resume or seeding and raises or lowers expectations. It also is the last chance to see how Xavier fares against teams who are not so familiar with each other. The ASU game is such an example of a team with a style of play have not seen (much if at all) and are not likely to see until NCAA (much if at all...unless some teams look at the tape of that game and decide to employ such a strategy - problem is - BE teams are not generally built that way). Some people just like to see us play someone new, who we rarely, if ever, play. Some people like the player development - how the veterans have improved and how the new guys will try to find their place and debate what the general prospects are for the newbies. Some talk about the 'revenge tour' and seem to gauge our improvement and their level of enthusiasm and excitement for the team for the rest of the season this way. Spending the rest of the season watching how these teams play as a measure of how good or bad a particular wins or loss looks retrospectively (some even to the extent of rooting for UC and going to confession more regularly). This is a great time of year after a long winter of debate, discontent, wailing and gnashing of teeth over recruitment (which has no bearing over this year but serves to put into perspective how certain player need to improve to avoid losing playing time, or the positive of being pushed by a high recruit - or worse - how the lack of recruiting will adversely affect the team for years to come). Great debates for sure.

There are the early exempt tournaments - maybe a microcosm of the BE tourney and/or the 'final dance'.

Then there is Big East play. Striving to be the flagship again. Fighting our way through the grueling home and home schedule, avoiding home losses at any cost and picking up those important road wins where even a bottom feeding team can come up and bite you....hard, even if you aren't 'looking past them'. Avoiding injury during the tough grind against physical play with teams that know and sometimes don't like each other.

The Big East tournament is another opportunity. Another reflection of NCAA tourney play. A last chance at revenge or dominance. A last opportunity to improve resume and seeding. An 'anything can happen' on 'any given day' feeling of excitement and a big prize for the triumphant. The win or go home aspect is a big rush for many, especially so close to the big tournament...the one most of us look toward as soon as the last game is played....and even before...

The NCAA Tournament, the Big Dance, the One Shining Moment, the exposure and the hoopla (no pun intended) the Emerald City after the long journey down all all the aforementioned roads. For some this is all that matters. This is what all of the other parts lead up to. The main reason for the other parts is a set up for seeding and match-ups, filling out the brackets, predicting future match-ups. Debating/complaining about seeding - ours and others. The excitement and anticipation. Win or go home. The possibility of euphoria or utter despair. The despised phrase: "Maybe next year" ...and the debate begins anew.

How good this team is will be determined in many parts, and each of us holds a level of importance to each of these parts which adds or detracts from their interest and excitement for the team - and even their level of disappointment. This is where they experience their highs and lows and debate where to go from here (from tweak the game plan to change player line-up/rotation/playing time/ to fire Mack!).

I think for most of us, the parts point to the final test, but the ride along the way should not be ignored. It is (almost always) a great ride with this team. Each of us will find our own seat on the X Train.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

I'm in the car where the bar is located, drinking my way through a week without Bball.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

It could be and I hope it is.

I would still have to pick 2007-2008 over this season's team to date. Burrell, Duncan, Lavendar & Co. were elite on both sides of the ball. Imagine the matchup of Hammer guarding Bluiett.

Regardless, savor every moment of this season.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    It could be and I hope it is.

I would still have to pick 2007-2008 over this season's team to date. Burrell, Duncan, Lavendar & Co. were elite on both sides of the ball. Imagine the matchup of Hammer guarding Bluiett.

Regardless, savor every moment of this season.
    Right now, I'd probably go with that team as well. They finished the year #15 in KenPom's ranking. #8 Offense #39 Defense.

The '04 team finished the year #21 in KenPom's rankings. #21 Offense #20 Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Right now, I'd probably go with that team as well. They finished the year #15 in KenPom's ranking. #8 Offense #39 Defense.

The '04 team finished the year #21 in KenPom's rankings. #21 Offense #20 Defense.
    The '09 team (Derrick Brown "toe on the line" Sweet 16 game!) finished #20 in KenPom's rankings. #53 Offense #12 Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    The '09 team (Derrick Brown "toe on the line" Sweet 16 game!) finished #20 in KenPom's rankings. #53 Offense #12 Defense.
    What did the 2015 team finish in kenpom?

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowDownDBrown View Post
    What did the 2015 team finish in kenpom?
    They got a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Finished #21 overall in KenPom's Rankings. #15 Offense #56 Defense.