Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASU loss is...

ASU is now #1 powerwise. XU is #10.

Quote Originally Posted by xdude View Post
    ASU is now #1 powerwise. XU is #10.
    This is unbelievable, and I don't even know what it means ("powerwise")

It seems as if I blinked and ASU was suddenly near the top of the polls (it just could be that I wasn't paying very close attention).
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    I was never really upset about this loss. Dude got in a zone. It happens.

They're also very good.
    The right way to look at it. Sometimes it's someone else's day of days. So it was for ASU that day against x.

Freshman
    Tre Holder has been incredible. He can't keep that up all season. Since he's hot Hurley will ride that for as long as he can. Wait until conference season when teams like Arizona and UCLA get good scouting intel on them. Then all bets are off. Hurley is still a new coach and is riding the tails of talent right now. Wait until he really has to coach in-game.

I will say that if you saw ASU in Orlando last year you wouldn't of taken them seriously either. They looked like crap. Bigly crap. If I remember correctly they finished in last place in that tournament. They sucked.

Now they're the darling right now with the votes and the glowing reviews... But just wait... Tre will come back down to earth and they'll have to find another scoring option.

But I'm not mad about that loss. As drudy said dude couldn't miss. See Bluiett's 40 last year v. UC.

Freshman
    Let's hope they keep winning. They are adding two more pieces to their rotation with one player now eligible after transfer and another dude returning from injury, I believe.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

ASU is good but not that crazy good. Don’t forget X lost to them in a NEUTRAL court and our offence was kind of off in that game. True, maybe X did not prepare or expect to face their style of play, but we learned and, if given another chance, I am should we will come out on top.

Supporting Member
    Id argue that they are pretty damned good. Not many teams go into Lawrence and come out with a victory.

It appears the ASU game was that annual eye opening "how did we just get our a$$ws kicked" loss that the team seems to need every year. An unexpected loss that gets them to realize (with the help of Mack) that they really aren't playing as smart and hard as they thought they were.

Xavier's lackadaisical defense was exposed by a very good team with much smaller and faster guards - guards who not only shot better but who had much more confidence and tenacity in the second half of the game. A much needed wake up call indeed before the Baylor and Cincinnati
    games.

Holder is the real deal. Hurley is a very good coach who will likely be at an elite level program soon. I can see him being offered (and accepting) a job at a school like Louisville and then eventually moving onto Duke when Coach K decides he's ready to go.

Sophomore
    ASU loss is...no big deal. It's our only loss thus far and they are a very good team.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post

Xavier's lackadaisical defense was exposed by a very good team with much smaller and faster guards

I wouldn't call it lackadaisical...you try to guard them. It ain't easy.

It has been and will continue to be a weakness for the program...guarding elite quickness and playmaking. You can try all you want, sometimes your physical limitations make it really hard to guard players like that. There are things Mack can do to put us in a better position next time.

I don't think anyone was expecting that from them. Kind of like when we played Florida State last year...just a bad matchup.