Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
    Quote Originally Posted by XUWahoo View Post
    Don't see how Villanova gets back to #2 in the AP Poll and X stays at #3 with bad Nova losses at Butler, Creighton, and St. John's. We share a common loss with Providence but Nova beat us twice as a highly ranked team (thus, not bad losses) and we lost to Arizona State while they were on their way up the polls and were, for a while, undefeated. Given the above and the fact that Xavier is the BE regular season champ, a case can be made that we should be at #2 this week.
    I think X is a better team than Nova, over all. Go X!

VU can't be ranked below X, being as they have us 2-0. However, if we win round 3 then I can see X ranking higher.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    He just took the time to actually inform you. Since many others would have just ignored your post, that seems like a kindness.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    And is much appreciated all the same!

Quote Originally Posted by XUWahoo View Post
    And is much appreciated all the same!
    :)

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Point Pete View Post
    I think X is a better team than Nova, over all. Go X!

VU can't be ranked below X, being as they have us 2-0. However, if we win round 3 then I can see X ranking higher.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    Wasn't Nova ranked below us last week? I guess my point is that what did Nova do since the last poll to allow them to play hopscotch over us? Neither they nor X lost any games since then, X took the BE regular season title, and the only other thing which transpired was that #2 Michigan State lost in the Big 10 semi's to Michigan.

They won at Seton Hall and beat the holy hell out of Georgetown at home. Objectively, they had a far superior week to Xavier.

We just got to celebrate more!

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    As an adherent of Kenpom, I think he's misusing it. The rankings are a measure of win probability, not a power ranking. If you want to rank teams, Kenpom is far better for measuring how difficult or easy opponents were than for measuring a team directly. And Xavier has notched a lot of victories against tough opponents.

I agree, I still think you can still use KP effectively to rank teams and for seeding purposes. But it looks like this guy is just relying solely on advanced statistics and ignoring team’s actual résumés, specifically for Xavier and UC, which I really disagree with.

Here’s his ballot, for reference: https://collegebasketball.ap.org/pol...r/jesse-newell
    Last edited by XU 23; 03-05-2018 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Wording

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    They won at Seton Hall and beat the holy hell out of Georgetown at home. Objectively, they had a far superior week to Xavier.

We just got to celebrate more!
    It was also a razor-thin margin in total points from the 65 people voting. Xavier was only up 6 points and is now only down 6 points. Really, it's a virtual tie for #2 in the rankings. It would be a literal tie if Jesse Newell had X at the minimum rank given by all other voters (4th) instead of his rank of 10th. Villanova had no such outliers.

Overall, Villanova has slightly more second-place votes (34 vs 27), but between Villanova and Xavier, all but four second-place votes are taken. Then, for 3rd place, Xavier got 32 votes while Villanova got 22 of the remaining 33.

Really doesn’t matter I think. What really matters at this point is tournament bracket seedlings and not playing out West. Whether we like to admit it or not, Nova owns us until we take them out in the Big East Tournament.

He is essentially letting Pomeroy vote his ballot. He shouldn't be allowed to vote if that's what he's going to do.
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Xavier #3 in final AP Poll

Previous high was #9 in 2016. Congrats to the team for another program high!

Xavier is now #4 in the Coaches Poll. The final one comes out after the tournament.