Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    FYI for the weird order of the top 3 teams:

While most vote distributions for the top 10 teams were a skewed bell curve, Michigan State's was bimodal, one peak at #1 and one peak at #3. Not many people voted them #2. Some more voted them #4 but not as many as the #1 and #3 voters. Then it tails off with four votes in total between #5 and #6. Those who put them at #3 put both Virginia and Villanova ahead of them. The averages worked out to Michigan State at #2 with Virginia a little ahead of them and Villanova right behind them. If we were to place the top 5 by most common ranking selection, it would be the following:

1. Virginia
    2. Villanova
    3. Michigan State
    4. Xavier
    5. Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I dont think we deserve to be ahead of UVA or Nova. MSU we do but I knew that wasnt going to happen. So I am ok with 4, I dont think that is disrespectful to X. I think its about where we belong. Maybe 3 over MSU but after them beating PurDont I knew they would move up.
    So let me get this straight. If Duke had our record and identical RPI. Won 2 road games against tourney teams, was winning their league and had the #2 RPI, they wouldn't have jumped to #1....or #2. BS

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    FYI for the weird order of the top 3 teams:

While most vote distributions for the top 10 teams were a skewed bell curve, Michigan State's was bimodal, one peak at #1 and one peak at #3. Not many people voted them #2. Some more voted them #4 but not as many as the #1 and #3 voters. Then it tails off with four votes in total between #5 and #6. Those who put them at #3 put both Virginia and Villanova ahead of them. The averages worked out to Michigan State at #2 with Virginia a little ahead of them and Villanova right behind them. If we were to place the top 5 by most common ranking selection, it would be the following:

1. Virginia
    2. Villanova
    3. Michigan State
    4. Xavier
    5. Cincinnati
    Which is why Borda count is an awful voting method.

Yes, "Borda". In case you weren't aware, the ranking system used by the AP and Coaches poll assigning points to positions was named after an 18th century French Mathematician.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    So let me get this straight. If Duke had our record and identical RPI. Won 2 road games against tourney teams, was winning their league and had the #2 RPI, they wouldn't have jumped to #1....or #2. BS
    I'm not saying they would or wouldnt have but they shouldnt of if everything was the same as it is now and you just made the name Xavier Duke instead.

Please make a viable argument for why we deserve to be ahead of Nova who has one less loss than us and crushed us when we played?
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I'm not saying they would or wouldnt have but they shouldnt of if everything was the same as it is now and you just made the name Xavier Duke instead.

Please make a viable argument for why we deserve to be ahead of Nova who has one less loss than us and crushed us when we played?
    Now its just Villanova? A viable argument has ALREADY been stated??

1. They just lost at home to St Johns
    2. We just beat two tourney teams on the road
    3. We are currently in first place in the Big East
    4. We are #2 in the RPI ahead on Nova

Add to all of that, they are without both Booth and Paschal right now.........

Yeah, right now.....TODAY.....we should be ranked ahead of them.

For the record, I don't really give a shit where we are. I'm just pissed in knowing that if Duke, UNC or Kansas we're in our shoes, they certainly wouldn't be ranked 4th. No way in hell.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Now its just Villanova? A viable argument has ALREADY been stated??

1. They just lost at home to St Johns
    2. We just beat two tourney teams on the road
    3. We are currently in first place in the Big East
    4. We are #2 in the RPI ahead on Nova

Add to all of that, they are without both Booth and Paschal right now.........

Yeah, right now.....TODAY.....we should be ranked ahead of them.

For the record, I don't really give a shit where we are. I'm just pissed in knowing that if Duke, UNC or Kansas we're in our shoes, they certainly wouldn't be ranked 4th. No way in hell.
    So if we lose to Seton Hall or Nova at home this week and beat the other and UC beats Houston and Wichita State, you'd say UC deserves a higher ranking than us?

I sure wouldnt.

And say we were 4 spots ahead of UC to make it a fair comparison.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

So if we lose to Seton Hall or Nova at home this week and beat the other and UC beats Houston and Wichita State, you'd say UC deserves a higher ranking than us?

I sure wouldnt.

And say we were 4 spots ahead of UC to make it a fair comparison.
    Tough to really make this analogy considering the teams and opponents are much different than St Johns and Va Tech.

There are two threads going on here; Rankings and Bracketology. I think currently we are fairly positioned in each. I think Rankings are done fairly quickily by the individual voters and look more to last weeks vote, overall record and more recent wins than things like strength of schedule and RPI. It represents more of the collective feeling of the voters. I think Virginia, Villanova, and Michigan State are all ranked higher than us because of a better record period. Cincinnati is hightly ranked for the same reason. Bracketology involves more detailed analysis and the selection committee spends days if not weeks creating the ultimate bracket. They are looking a RPI, strength of schedule, good wins, bad losses, home and road records and now tier 1, 2, 3 records. I think seeding us currently as a number one is correct but that's why a Michigan State is higher ranked and lower in bracketology.

I noticed that GoMuskies favorite Sagarin Rankings has Xavier at #1 in the RECENT ranking.

The RECENT, is score-based and weights RECENT play more heavily than earlier games. Its effect will become more pronounced the longer a season goes if a given team happens to have an upward or downward trend.
    RATING W L SCHEDL(RANK) VS top 25 | VS top 50 | PREDICTOR | GOLDEN_MEAN | RECENT

12 Xavier-Ohio = 89.27 24 3 79.47( 19) 4 1 | 10 2 | 88.71 12 | 89.94 9 | 94.06 1
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Hell yeah they do!!!!!

And that is obviously the most important ranking system out there!

Side note: LAST PLACE Big East team St. John's is #19.