Page 24 of 58 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Also, more recently Kenpom has de-emphasized blowout margins, so losing by 24 isn't that much worse than the predicted 10-point margin.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Today moved the KenPom needle for us. Up to #17.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    X covered and beat a team ranked higher in kenpom ratings

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    X covered and beat a team ranked higher in kenpom ratings
    the fact that UC is at 8, lost to us by a wide margin and has beaten a bunch of cream puffs, shatters the validity of KenPom

Shamfoddery I say......

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    the fact that UC is at 8, lost to us by a wide margin and has beaten a bunch of cream puffs, shatters the validity of KenPom

Shamfoddery I say......
    "Shamfoddery" is right up there with "Trickeration".

Well done and DILLY, DILLY.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

Shamfoddery I say......
    This post is a great example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. You're acting like UC being ranked 8th "shatters the validity of Kenpom" when they are truly somewhere around 15th in the country. So drastically different from 8th!

This part is directed to everyone else: statistical data has to be considered in proper context. Wanting stats to perfectly explain a situation is a very shallow way of thinking. For example, an example that all X fans will appreciate is Tu Holloway's three-point shooting. He never shot over 35% in a season, suggesting that he was a mediocre shooter. Because we see those stats in the context of watching him for four years, though, we all know that Tu took a lot of tough threes. That would obviously lower his percentage, and though Tu wasn't an elite shooter, he was definitely a good shooter.

For Kenpom, I've mentioned some of this before but here is some info that gives better context to the rankings:
    - Because UC plays a bunch of cupcakes, Kenpom probably does overrate them (Pomeroy has suggested this himself). They can overwhelm a lot of opponents with superior talent, though this UC team did also blow out UCLA on the road and SMU at home.
    - What Kenpom is ranking isn't the "power" of the team or how good they are but instead their win probability based on margins of victory, which is a little different. UC is really good at using their defense to maximize their win probability.
    - X is a better team than their Kenpom ranking because they get lackadaisical with leads and over-confident against inferior opponents. Just look at the DePaul and ETSU games. Or, consider the fact that X controlled most of the Butler game but let them get it down to 6 with enough time to complete a comeback. They don't maximize the margin in individual games, so of course they are going to do worse in a ranking based on win probability.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Nice jump on the defensive side. I think they were 68th before in defensive efficiency, and they moved to 55th. Even though it was at home, holding a top 20 offense to 0.90 points per possession is really impressive. They were really locked in on that side of the ball. Scoring on the other side so they could set up their half-court defense probably helped.

Any guesses on what we will be ranked?
    Screaming at the tv with my dad since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Xupergirl View Post
    Any guesses on what we will be ranked?
    Blown out on the road by the #1 team. Blew out the #25 team at home. I don't envy voters deciding how to rank Xavier.

Sounds like a wash. Stay the same? Most everyone else lost too.