If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

So the result would have been to drop a team that ended up in the Elite Eight to the NIT? And it would have made the profile of a Wichita State team that was pretty much unanimously acknowledged as criminally underseeded look...worse?!?

Sounds like this new system is bad.

I haven't thought about the implications of the change fully yet, but I don't think the article fully thinks it through either. He used 23 teams as examples. Of the 23, he said that the new system would only help 3 of them, and 3 of them were washes. That means that 17 teams would have a worse profile in this new tiered system. Considering that these teams include both tournament and non-tournament teams - if everyone is moving down, that means the field isn't really going to change much.

After looking at it more, the only thing I think I'd see changing based on this new system is that Monmouth would have gotten in over Tulsa in 2016. There is really no other NIT team listed that this new tiered system would have helped.