X #26, Offense #14, Defense #38, Big East Conf. #2

https://kenpom.com/
    2023 Sweet 16

KenPom 2018

After last night's win:

Overall: #16

Offense: #7

Defense: #37

I'm gonna wait until sUCks or Wichita St. plays someone with a pulse before seeing them at 10 and 3, respectively. I'm not buying that at all.

Doesn't early season KenPom still use some of last year's data? That would be why Wichita State is so high despite only playing UMKC and Charleston.

Correct, at this point it is still factoring preseason projections (which are based on last year) much more than this years results. Also, Kenpom has said it over values teams with easy schedules like WSU and to a lesser extent UC last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieXU View Post
    Also, Kenpom has said it over values teams with easy schedules like WSU and to a lesser extent UC last year.
    When has that been said? Because if it's been said, I don't think it's at all accurate. You can generally peg Vegas lines within a point or two based on KenPom's ratings, and that wouldn't be true if the above statement was true.

He said it in a recent AMA. His exact quote:

“I do get the sense that dominant teams in the top mid-major leagues tend to be overrated a bit. Gonzaga was maybe the third or fourth best team last season and not the best. Wichita was maybe 13-15 and not 8th. Short of penalizing a team for the conference they are in (which seems wrong for some reason), I haven't come up with a good way to handle this.”

As for Vegas lines, kenpom is usually pretty spot on for power matchups, but the do vary more for one sided blowouts. The spread is almost always higher than Kenpoms spread because his system isn’t great at evaluating those games.

The spread on Kentucky/Wichita State in the NCAA Tournament last year was Kentucky -1, and the game played out that way,too. I don't really buy what he's saying here. On Gonzaga, what evidence would he present that they weren't the best (or second best) team in the country last year? They lost one game before the championship game and were tied in the final minute of that.

As of 12-3-17:

Overall: #17

Offense: #4

Defense: #51

That ASU game killed our defensive ranking.

UC win doesn't look all that great right now, but it will b4 the end of the year as they blaze through that weak ass, top heavy conference.