Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pick the Score - Potential Rule Change

BLEEDXBLUE has sent me an email mentioning a potential rule change for Pick the Score. His email states:

I'm not playing this year. I missed one game last year and it just kills you. Did you ever think of dropping the single lowest score of each player so that it’s not so penal? Just an idea b/c I do really enjoy the game.

I am not going to consider this as stated because it would cause a fair amount of extra work on my part and it would mess with YTD and Big East standings since you would not know what your lowest score is until the end of the season. What I would consider is to give anyone without an entry the lowest score for each game minus 10 points (The Minimum Score). This Minimum Score would only be applied after each entrant's first entry. I am not going to go back and rescore games of the past (again too much work).

Example:
    PAULXU wins with 98 points and SKYWALKER comes in last with 80 points. Anyone without an entry would receive 70 points (80-10).

Part of me feels that this change negatively impacts those who religiously enter a score for every game but I also see BLEEDXBLUE’s point. So I am requesting feedback and will weigh the input considering your participation rate over the last couple years. I will take feedback until noon Friday and post my decision early Friday afternoon.

I like the "paulxu wins" part. Can you make that happen more often?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I like it. Especially when it comes to things like Thanksgiving tournaments or the Big East tournament where the turnaround time between games is less than 24 hours. And I think the ten points less than the minimum is a good measurement. It significantly bumps you down, but doesn't take away your chance at placing well. You still have the ability to recover with a lot of good scores or a perfect score or two. I'm all for it.

I agree with the (potential) change. It seems like almost every year, for one reason or another (old age is DEFINITELY NOT a factor) I miss a game. I begin participating less frequently. There is still the best of a particular game (or top ten), so it's not like a complete waste of time, but it definitely takes a lot of the enthusiasm and interest out of this great yearly event.

Maybe some who can go through the season year after year and never miss would rather thin out the competition. Believe me, I'm no threat. It's an honor just to be nominated.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Sky, thank you for all the work you do on ''Pick the Score''.
    On this current issue, I vote for whatever makes it easiest it for you to manage.
    I do, however, have another issue and it could cut your time considerably. I seethe [seethe I tell you!] when someone gets points for PICKING THE OPPONENT! A loss is hard enough to deal with, but seeing some Benedict Arnold or visiting team troll rewarded is near impossible.

I suggest the following rule change:
    ''Points will only be awarded when Xavier wins''.

Wear blue at games!
    Birdman'71'76

Perhaps each contestant could have a default score that is to be used if they miss a game. We could each pick that score now. Mine would be X 75 opponent 63
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    I appreciate BleedXBlue's point that it is easy to miss a week. As last year's winner I am fine to stay as is or to adopt Skywalker's suggestion. In the latter case some discretion would have to be given Skywalker, in determining the low score, to ignore jokers who put in predictions such as X 200, Opponent 10. Or you could say that the low score would not be less than ___ points below the high score. I echo the sentiment to make it easy for Skywalker, who mans the laboring oar, so I am happy with whatever makes him happy.

Supporting Member
    Sorry, I meant "not more than ____ points below"

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Perhaps each contestant could have a default score that is to be used if they miss a game. We could each pick that score now. Mine would be X 75 opponent 63
    Muskiefan82 said exactly what I wanted to say right there. I would play if you could enter a default score so I wouldn't worry about missing a game.

I haven't played because of exactly what BleedXBlue is talking about. You are going to miss a game and then you can't catch up.

You could even make it a standard default. We averaged 75 points a game last year. We gave up an average of 71 last year. So if people sign up for the contest and don't get picks in, maybe you put in a default of 75-71 for anyone that misses a game.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman71 View Post
    Sky, thank you for all the work you do on ''Pick the Score''.
    On this current issue, I vote for whatever makes it easiest it for you to manage.
    I do, however, have another issue and it could cut your time considerably. I seethe [seethe I tell you!] when someone gets points for PICKING THE OPPONENT! A loss is hard enough to deal with, but seeing some Benedict Arnold or visiting team troll rewarded is near impossible.

I suggest the following rule change:
    ''Points will only be awarded when Xavier wins''.
    A sign that some posters take this game far more seriously than is healthy.