Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Patrick Ewing Trying to Bring Georgetown Back to Prominence

Link

He is Georgetown's head coach now. In other words, he has Thompson's job in Thompson's building, where Thompson still keeps an office. The man who first called Ewing and told him he needed to pursue this opening? John Thompson Jr., right after his son, John Thompson III, was fired by the very school his old man put on the basketball map.
    It was an awkward series of events, but it made sense, too, since Big John has always looked after Bigger Patrick. Thompson started protecting Ewing in 1981, when the center from Cambridge, Massachusetts, ended the mother of all high school recruiting wars in an announcement at a Boston restaurant owned by Thompson's former Celtics teammate Satch Sanders. The coach had made quite an impression in his visit with the Ewing family. "He spoke extremely well; he carried himself with class," Ewing recalls. "And as a young black man, he was somebody I could be like." The recruit was most struck by Thompson's way with words. "I was mesmerized."
    Ewing wanted Thompson to keep doing the talking for him at Georgetown, where "Hoya paranoia" was born of the restricted access to the phenom. "A lot of times," Ewing recalls, "he took the hit, especially for me, if I didn't speak. ... I didn't like speaking to the media. Growing up in Boston, I learned from a young age that the media builds you up, and at a certain point they start chopping you down."
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I will be surprised if he turns into being a good hire.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I will be surprised if he turns into being a good hire.
    +1.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    +1.
    He needs 8-10 years of good recruiting and performance.

Kind of late to post, but I just ran across this and thought it was interesting...

"Some of our guys thought defense was a town in Chile. Other guys thought defense was something you put up around d-house to keep out d-dog and d-cat." Pete Gillen

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    He needs 8-10 years of good recruiting and performance.
    Huh? Where do you come up with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Huh? Where do you come up with this stuff?
    I was assuming the backroads of recruiting and knowledge of all college players and set plays was necessary plus all the weird game rules.

Sophomore
    I thought Ewing looked pretty good. His team seems pretty disciplined and well coached. They have a plan and they follow it. I am pretty confident in Ewing, particularly compared to JTIII.
    2011-2012. KICK DOWN THE FUKING DOOR!

Quote Originally Posted by stophorseabuse View Post
    I thought Ewing looked pretty good. His team seems pretty disciplined and well coached. They have a plan and they follow it. I am pretty confident in Ewing, particularly compared to JTIII.
    THAT is the key. I hope he gets that program going again, but still loses to X on a consistent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by GenerationX View Post
    Kind of late to post, but I just ran across this and thought it was interesting...

That bitch is crazy.