2018 Big East basketball preview

2018 Big East basketball preview - Jeff Borzello

A nice write up by Borzello filled with predictions.

Number of teams that should make the NCAA tournament: Four
    The player who will own the conference: Jalen Brunson, Villanova.
    The freshman you will want to tune in to see every time he plays: Omari Spellman, Villanova.
    Coach with the toughest job: Patrick Ewing, Georgetown.
    The team that will surprise you: St. John's.
    The team that will disappoint you: Butler.

The league title will come down to ...
    Whether Villanova will skip a beat in its usual Big East dominance. The Wildcats have won four straight conference titles, going 63-9 in those four regular seasons. What separates them from everyone else is their ability to seamlessly replace departed stars. Wright has the pieces once again, with Donte DiVincenzo and Eric Paschall ready for bigger roles. But any slip-ups in performance, and Xavier, Seton Hall and Providence are ready to pounce. Each of those contenders will start at least three or four seniors; they'll want to go out on top.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I'm not sure how he's wording the "Number of teams that should make the NCAA tournament." Is that a minimum he expects? Or the total?

Because I would be shocked if the Big East winds up getting only 4 teams in.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoreX View Post
    I'm not sure how he's wording the "Number of teams that should make the NCAA tournament." Is that a minimum he expects? Or the total?

Because I would be shocked if the Big East winds up getting only 4 teams in.
    He says those 4 teams (Nova, X, SHU and Providence) are a lock. Adds on that St. Johns has the talent but is unproven and that Creighton, Butler and Marquette lost significant pieces.

For binge watching ... suggest the dozen or so episodes of the “Big East Shootaround” - search YouTube. Cheesy at times, but good stuff.

Brunson...Brunson...Brunson. If Tre stays healthy and plays the way he did in March, He will own the conf.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Brunson...Brunson...Brunson. If Tre stays healthy and plays the way he did in March, He will own the conf.
    Too Late.