Horizon Preview (for Emp)

Link

The major conference arms race in college basketball claimed another Horizon League staple this offseason as Valparaiso is leaving the league for the Missouri Valley Conference. While losing the Crusaders is a big blow to a proud mid-major league, there is still reason to be optimistic about the conference for this season and beyond. There are a few strong teams at the top of the league with intriguing starpower, while four head coaches will be in the Horizon for the first time.
    One of the most scary mid-major teams in the country this season will be Oakland. Head coach Greg Kampe always has a fair share of talented offensive players and high-major transfers and the collection of talent he has in place this year could be great. Returning senior forward Jalen Hayes is a leading conference Player of the Year candidate while senior guard Martez Walker put up 17.8 points per game last season.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Oakland has a chance to be very special this season. That being said, Greg Kampe consistently underachieves when it comes to March. I'd be very surprised if they didn't win the Horizon, but I'd also be surprised if they managed to win the conference tournament.

Kampe's teams haven't really underperformed in March. He's won three regular season conference championships they since they moved to D-I, and he has three NCAA Tournament appearances.

Guess I'm just thinking recently. Really should've made the tournament the last few years, especially with how the conference tournaments shook out.