AAC Preview (UC)

Link

2. Cincinnati remains a major title contender
    Very quietly, Cincinnati has become one of the most consistent programs in the country. Coming off of a 30-win season and a seventh consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, the Bearcats and head coach Mick Cronin have a very good thing going right now.
    Losing the backcourt of seniors Troy Caupain and Kevin Johnson is going to hurt. Two of the winningest guards in program history, it will be tough for Cincinnati to move on without their consistent presence. The Bearcats are hoping that Sacred Heart transfer Cane Broome can be an adequate replacement. The nation’s sixth-leading scorer at 23.1 points per game two seasons ago as a sophomore, Broome will play a new role at point for Cincinnati. If Broome can maintain his double-figure scoring status while getting others good looks then Cincinnati actually might have a better offense than last year. Junior Justin Jenifer is a solid security blanket should Broome struggle as he’s also provided minutes at point backing up Caupain.
    After a breakout sophomore campaign, Jacob Evans returns on the wing after putting up numbers across the board while shooting 41 percent from three-point range. Evans is an all-league threat who might be a Player of the Year candidate if he can make another leap in the scoring column. Johnson’s spot in the lineup will be filled by sophomore Jarron Cumberland, a tough bucket-getter who could also be a potential upgrade from an offensive perspective.
    Cincinnati’s frontcourt is perhaps the league’s best as versatile senior forwards Gary Clark and Kyle Washington return. A former league Defensive Player of the Year, Clark is a huge presence on the floor for Cincinnati at both ends while Washington is springy enough to block shots on defense while being skilled enough to stretch the floor a bit on offense.
    Besides replacing a point guard, depth is going to be a question for Cincinnati. The frontcourt depth is there, but many of the pieces like sophomores Nysier Brooks and Tre Scott and freshmen Mamoudou Diarra and Eliel Nsoseme are inexperienced. Besides for Jennifer, Cincinnati doesn’t have many proven perimeter players who can come in and give a lift.
    We know that Mick Cronin teams always have a chip on their shoulders and they’ll play physical and defend. Despite a 30-win season, nobody from the Bearcats was first-team All-AAC last season. Wichita State is getting all of this positive buzz now as the new guy. You think that doesn’t make Cincinnati angry? If the Bearcats can stay healthy then they have the offensive pop to be a really scary team this season.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Xavier's game 12/2 against UC is listed as one of the top non-conference games to watch (obviously). Also, Brian Gregory's USF Bull are picked to finish last in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Xavier's game 12/2 against UC is listed as one of the top non-conference games to watch (obviously). Also, Brian Gregory's USF Bull are picked to finish last in the league.
    I'm glad he could find work?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

How'd you like to be at UC and click on this headline:

4hESPN.com
    AP Preseason Top 25: Wichita State debuts at No. 7

The seventh-ranked Shockers are the lone AAC representative in the preseason poll.
    Might make you think you were on probation or something.
    Unrelated, I never get the Wichita State love. They had the magic run to a FF, but have only made it to the second weekend once since then.
    Sort of like VCU. Had their run, but have never gotten out of the first weekend since.

And yes, I'm jealous of their trips to the FF.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Wichita State went undefeated and got a #1 seed the year after the FF. They lost in a pretty epic game to Kentucky in the second round, but Kentucky went on to be national runners up, so they weren't your typical #8 seed.

The next year Wichita State got a #7 seed and went to the Sweet Sixteen, beating #2 Kansas along the way.

The following year they battled injuries early but rebounded to beat Vandy in a play-in game and throttle the Lexus in the first round.

Last year they kinda got screwed with a #10 seed, beat Dayton and lost a heartbreaker to #2 seed Kentucky.

This year they're ranked so high because they lost lilterally no rotation players off a team that won 30 games, was a top 15 KenPom team and lost by 3 points to #2 Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament.

So, they've won 10 NCAA Tournament games in the last 5 years. What's not to get, I guess?

Since you live there (!) you know the team.
    Just think they haven't quite earned the high early season ranking.
    I've been wrong before, and probably will be this time.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    How'd you like to be at UC and click on this headline:

Might make you think you were on probation or something.
    Unrelated, I never get the Wichita State love. They had the magic run to a FF, but have only made it to the second weekend once since then.
    Sort of like VCU. Had their run, but have never gotten out of the first weekend since.

And yes, I'm jealous of their trips to the FF.
    Yep. See, when all the mania about Big East expansion was hot, many were touting VCU & Udump. Can you imagine the regrets now if that happened?

VCU was a personality, (Smart), not a program.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell