Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    If you are going to run it like insurance you have to take into account all the at risk groups in determining a rate. I would expect men to pay more than women for instance, because women don't use guys to kill and commit crimes as much as men do. And younger men are more dangerous than older men. Young male drivers pay the highest car insurance for instance.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Just to gauge, if a Congressman came out with this bill, what would your gut reaction be? Anyone

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Have they released the details on the weapons used by the shooter? Were they, in fact, fully automatic? A friend’s son who is currently active military, says he thought the sounds he heard could have been from a semi automatic that had been modified with something on the trigger to simulate full automatic while not quite accomplishing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They think it's a bump fire stock. It's still technically semi-automatic but the change allows to function in some ways like an automatic rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Just to gauge, if a Congressman came out with this bill, what would your gut reaction be? Anyone
    Without knowing much more, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Without knowing much more, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed.
    I googled it for the hell of it and a version of it has already been proposed a couple of times. Last time was March.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...ouse-bill/1708

Sophomore
    Legalize hunting rifles and shotguns. That allows hobbyists and people protecting their house to remain. It will purge the gangsters and the insecure whites who need a pistol around their waist to feel safe.

While I give you an "A" for effort, the idea of mandating insurance would create more hoops to jump through for law abiding citizens while the criminals will continue to buy guns from Jim Bob in the alley without any insurance required for purchase. It is a half hearted idea to address the problem, and I don't believe it will do anything to stop these domestic terrorist acts.

I don't believe insurance would have prevented the shootings in Las Vegas. Without a motive, it is tough to speculate on what can be done to avoid a similar situation in the future. My first guess would to create even more awareness on mental health issues, and what help is available to those who need it. My hunch is Stephen Paddock had some sort of untreated mental illness, as this dude was crazy AF.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    While I give you an "A" for effort, the idea of mandating insurance would create more hoops to jump through for law abiding citizens while the criminals will continue to buy guns from Jim Bob in the alley without any insurance required for purchase. It is a half hearted idea to address the problem, and I don't believe it will do anything to stop these domestic terrorist acts.

I don't believe insurance would have prevented the shootings in Las Vegas. Without a motive, it is tough to speculate on what can be done to avoid a similar situation in the future. My first guess would to create even more awareness on mental health issues, and what help is available to those who need it. My hunch is Stephen Paddock had some sort of untreated mental illness, as this dude was crazy AF.
    Did you just call what I said "half-hearted", and then propose increased mental health awareness? Please expand on what creating "...even more awareness on mental health issues" looks like and how it works.

It's time we really look at countries that do it better than we do. Why can't we pull what Australia did? The outback is practically the wild west and not only did they successfully perform a buyback program but they lowered gun crime and gun suicides. That is a good model. Japan is more extreme, but look at them. The pains it takes to get a firearm and keep a firearm are extreme but also work to the extreme. Our problem is that we set the bar too low and should be pushing for far more regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Legalize hunting rifles and shotguns. That allows hobbyists and people protecting their house to remain. It will purge the gangsters and the insecure whites who need a pistol around their waist to feel safe.
    So you advocate open carry then since everyone will only have shotguns or rifles? Or can no one carry outside of their home that isn't hunting? So law abiding citizens cannot carry but criminals who don't give a shit about the law can carry?

Are you ok with stage coach shotguns? How about a BFR which can shoot .410 shotgun shells or .45 caliber rounds?