Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    So essentially "semi-automatic" is a super broad term that "sounds" dangerous and like the kind of thing that needs to be banned? That's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    So essentially "semi-automatic" is a super broad term that "sounds" dangerous and like the kind of thing that needs to be banned? That's helpful.
    Shotguns and handguns sound dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Shotguns and handguns sound dangerous.
    Yes, but no sane person seriously thinks we're going to get a shotgun or handgun ban.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Yes, but no sane person seriously thinks we're going to get a shotgun or handgun ban.
    Agreed, and also acknowledged that I'm no expert on the subject.

I fail to see a realistic need of a semi-auto rifle or shotgun for hunting and especially for protection. I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong.

Junior

I fail to see a realistic need of a semi-auto rifle or shotgun for hunting and especially for protection. I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong.
    You’ve never spent much time in the mountains, have you?
    zip em up

Do you know what semi-automatic means?

And a shotgun is considered the best home defense weapon that you can use because the shotgun spray/buckshot doesn't go through the walls to your neighbors house or into another room while also being strong enough with a nice spread to take down any intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    You’ve never spent much time in the mountains, have you?
    None in fact and I think that's an important point to make. I've lived in cities my entire life, NY, Cincinnati and DC. I completely understand and acknowledge that guns have are vital to culture, life, etc. outside of cities. That being said, they don't just stay in the places where they are purchased.

None in fact and I think that's an important point to make. I've lived in cities my entire life, NY, Cincinnati and DC. I completely understand and acknowledge that guns have are vital to culture, life, etc. outside of cities. That being said, they don't just stay in the places where they are purchased.
    It's almost as if criminals don't give a shit about laws. So why don't we pass more restrictive laws on law abiding citizens and leave them more vulnerable while criminals keep doing what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    It's almost as if criminals don't give a shit about laws. So why don't we pass more restrictive laws on law abiding citizens and leave them more vulnerable while criminals keep doing what they want.
    The guns necessitate guns argument can be used both ways. You know this, we've been through this before.

Supporting Member
    I would encourage you to go to a shooting range at some point and try out a few different guns. While I don't think it will change your mind, it will at least give you some insight into the arguments and a better understanding about the different types of weapons people are discussing.

I grew up in the burbs and never really had any experience with guns until I moved to St. James, MO for 5 years. One of my law school buddies (family full of elected Dems) owned a little over 1000 acres and we used to go out and shoot on the weekends when we were bored. Shot handguns, shotguns, .22 rifle, .30-06 rifles (I for the life of me can't remember the name of the actual rifle), and an AR-15.

It really changed how I looked at guns and where they belong in society. While I am still strongly against the ownership of automatic weapons, handguns (no average person is accurate with a handgun in a high stress situation, and those bullets will go through walls no problem), AK-47s and the like, I understand why people disagree with me. But having that basic understanding allows you to dig a little bit below the surface and figure out why there could exist logical and valid reasons for wanting to avoid outlawing certain guns.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack