Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    How can the NCAA not give them the death penalty? You have an employee of the university on tape saying "we have to be extra careful because we're already on probation." It doesn't get more incriminating than that.

I understand the SMU argument and saw the 30 for 30 but basketball is completely different from football when it comes to building a program. You're talking 12 guys versus 90. The NCAA needs to grow a pair and do it.
    I think if there's any real reason they don't do it it's because Louisville makes them gobs of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I think if there's any real reason they don't do it it's because Louisville makes them gobs of money.
    Bingo. What he said. No way they drop the hammer on UofL. Makes too much sense and the NCAA has none.
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    aka the Roy Williams Rule
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I do not believe this will prevent Chris Mack from taking that job if he is interested. Sean Miller took over an Arizona team that was reeling, and had only a few scholarship players left from the fiasco that was the last 2 years of Lute Olson's career. He didn't face sanctions, but still had to rebuild. Thad Matta jumped for a decimated OSU program. Coaches see that stuff as a challenge, and if they can return those schools to prominence, they are deemed a hero.

Whenever I have started a new job or new role for a company, it was most preferable to follow someone that messed up, was terrible, or ignored his responsibilities. All I had to do was put in a solid effort, and the territory would bounce back. Customers loved me because I followed someone incompetent.
    I don't think it makes for an appropriate analogy, comparing our upper middle-class office jobs to those of major college basketball coaches, so I'm not sure that is a like scenario. I also don't think the HC job at Louisville will be the only thing impacted. You are talking about an entire athletic department that is going to be placed under a microscope for the foreseeable future, not to mention whatever the NCAA decides to do. Mack would be walking in to a very uncomfortable and excessively scrutinized environment. I don't think this really compares to your new sales manager job or whatever it may be.

Second, we are six weeks from tip off of Xavier's first actual game. I know Mack has ambitions just like every other college coach, but he's established enough to not want to be that guy who bolted on his top 15 team six weeks before the season started to coach a team in turmoil.

But I could be very wrong.

No one's leaving their current job to go to Louisville this year. They'll have an interim guy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    No one's leaving their current job to go to Louisville this year. They'll have an interim guy for sure.
    I agree with this, it will be the open jobs at the end of this year that will be of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    (My comments assume that Mack wants the UL job - which most of us who know anything about Mack believe is all but 100% certain.)

I agree with Go. They'll bring in someone to be the interim for this season. The roster they have in place has Final Four potential so I'll be rooting like hell for the new guy, because who knows, maybe they'll keep him (see Kevin Ollie). After the season, however, they'll back it up for someone like Mack and they'll take the job - "it" being the Brinks truck. I really don't think the sanctions will impact his decision all that much, but who knows. Starting with a clean slate with no pressure early-on is fairly attractive. Sure would be nice if he does end up taking the job, that he delivers us the Final Four we've all been waiting for before he goes. Anxious to hear the other names they'll be throwing out after they hire the "search firm". Would be great if someone jumps up and takes it out from under him. I mean, Mack can't be the ONLY guy they'd consider.
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Pimp

So "Mack to Louisville" is going to hang over us all season, wonderful.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Sophomore
    I think it's gonna take a bit of time for this to all unfold. I can't see any coach taking that job before the sanctions/etc. are announced and I think it could be uglier than people are thinking. If he's facing years of not being in the tournament or whatever, I can't see him taking that job.

Matt Norlander‏Verified account @MattNorlander 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    Wow. Postel says he aims to name an interim HC and interim AD within 48 hours.