Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Rick Pitino Out at Louisville

Press conference at 1 pm.

The dominoes are starting to fall!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...tom-jurich-out
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Sophomore
    Honestly in terms of keeping Mack long term (next 5ish years) this couldn't have worked out any better.

OSU & IU get new coaches (Mack mentioned but never seriously so didn't take meeting or anything)
    Lville we've always known is probably his top job. Pitino fired and throws multiple Grenades on his way out making the job extremely unattractive.

I'd still watch out for the Brinks trucks.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Wow. This is something else.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
    Pitino fired and throws multiple Grenades on his way out making the job extremely unattractive.
    I do not believe this will prevent Chris Mack from taking that job if he is interested. Sean Miller took over an Arizona team that was reeling, and had only a few scholarship players left from the fiasco that was the last 2 years of Lute Olson's career. He didn't face sanctions, but still had to rebuild. Thad Matta jumped for a decimated OSU program. Coaches see that stuff as a challenge, and if they can return those schools to prominence, they are deemed a hero.

Whenever I have started a new job or new role for a company, it was most preferable to follow someone that messed up, was terrible, or ignored his responsibilities. All I had to do was put in a solid effort, and the territory would bounce back. Customers loved me because I followed someone incompetent.
    Last edited by nuts4xu; 09-27-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I do not believe this will prevent Chris Mack from taking that job if he is interested. Sean Miller took over an Arizona team that was reeling, and had only a few scholarship players left from the fiasco that was the last 2 years of Lute Olson's career. He didn't face sanctions, but still had to rebuild. Thad Matta jumped for a decimated OSU program. Coaches see that stuff as a challenge, and if they can return those schools to prominence, they are deemed a hero.
    Agreed. Celebrating this as working in our favor is really premature. I don't think it's likely, but it's still possible.

As I have said for years, Mack is not leaving. Now cue the you don't know and unless you are Mack you don't know comments. waiting for casual to blow his load with the thoughts of Mack leaving.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by throwbackmuskie View Post
    As I have said for years, Mack is not leaving. Now cue the you don't know and unless you are Mack you don't know comments. waiting for casual to blow his load with the thoughts of Mack leaving.
    I just don't see how he chooses to leave everything that he's worked so hard and long to build -- for a school probably getting the death penalty. And yes Christi is from the Louisville area, so that could definitely be a factor. But that's one hell of a mess to inherit and that's not even knowing inside details

How can the NCAA not give them the death penalty? You have an employee of the university on tape saying "we have to be extra careful because we're already on probation." It doesn't get more incriminating than that.

I understand the SMU argument and saw the 30 for 30 but basketball is completely different from football when it comes to building a program. You're talking 12 guys versus 90. The NCAA needs to grow a pair and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    How can the NCAA not give them the death penalty? You have an employee of the university on tape saying "we have to be extra careful because we're already on probation." It doesn't get more incriminating than that.

I understand the SMU argument and saw the 30 for 30 but basketball is completely different from football when it comes to building a program. You're talking 12 guys versus 90. The NCAA needs to grow a pair and do it.
    If the NCAA were going to do it, this is the time. Couple that with the notion that the NCAA doesn't act until the feds get involved.