Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    A community college player told me THEY were getting paid.
    You misheard. He didn’t say “paid”.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Sophomore
    they all get stipends, so technically the ncaa is already paying their athletes

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I suppose that's fair, but what you're asking me for is not realistic. You say you want facts, but discussing a topic like this on a message board limits what can be provided. I can't exactly supply you with any stats or documents, and if I were to keep giving examples you would remain right back where you started by believing they're statements that I'm merely declaring to be true without providing any facts. People just kinda have to take or leave what I have to say, and if they want to leave it then that's fine.
    Ok, so basically you have formed an opinon. And that opinion "comes to life" under the picture that you painted. I'm totally fine with that. But you dont present it as an opinion at all. You present it as fact. And THEN you come up with this doozy....

"But anyone who says that five star players are the only ones being paid has absolutely no idea what they are talking about."

You are basically saying that anyone that doesn't also adopt your opinion is wrong. So I'm calling you out on it and asking you to back up your opinion with some facts.

so can you? Or will you just concede that you have an opinion. And also that others are entitled to opinions as well. And only facts will determine if one of those opinions is right and another is worng....

Again, I can only do so much on a message board, and what I can do wouldn't meet your standard of proof even if I wanted to. Not saying that they have, but if I claimed that agents had told me how many players they'd given money to, you'd want me to prove that. If I gave the names, you'd want me to prove I wasn't just making it up. It'd be the same if I claimed that players and coaches had told me about it. You'd ask if I could prove that, and I obviously can't because even if that were true there is just no way for me to do that, and even if there were I wouldn't take it that far because I don't care enough about whether or not people on a message board believe it. Like I said, people can take it or leave it, but if they decide to leave it then I wish they'd at least consider that this whole mess may be far more rampant than they think that it is. If more people wake up to it then it will hopefully finally start to get cleaned up. I guess we'll wait for more facts to come out.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-02-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Geesh this whole thing is a clusterfu%*.

I would love to know how the hell these kids get "paid". For sure it has to be cash.

There has to be some kind of paper trail. Kid gives the cash to his parents who then in turn buy a new car or a house.......

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Yup, one of my close friends that played at WVU got ridiculous stipends, not to mention they'd get money for "meals" while away on those holiday tournaments, not sure if I should disclose amounts, but let's just say they had more than enough, especially considering the fact that most meals were team meals anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Geesh this whole thing is a clusterfu%*.

I would love to know how the hell these kids get "paid". For sure it has to be cash.

There has to be some kind of paper trail. Kid gives the cash to his parents who then in turn buy a new car or a house.......
    You'd be surprised how good various programs are at covering their asses, it's pretty damn wide spread, it's definitely cash, but I mean if you haven't read the Bag Man article Sports Illustrated had for college football a while ago, I'd recommend it, there's also other various stories like Tosh Lupoi's coffee cup method, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Yeah, Book said Sean was paying Ayton $10,000 a month. Nice stipend.
    2023 Sweet 16

Again, I can only do so much on a message board, and what I can do wouldn't meet your standard of proof even if I wanted to.

Man, I hate to be negative but you've really gone off the rails with this one...and it's not the first time. It's not that I don't enjoy reading the water cooler conversation around the sport, but on topics like this when you are writing SO many words and it's not even got one ounce of insider knowledge posted behind it, you're really wasting everyone's time to have to slog through the posts and figure what the hell is real and speculation.

To say you know, when you don't really know...just don't.
    Last edited by sirthought; 05-03-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Again, I can only do so much on a message board, and what I can do wouldn't meet your standard of proof even if I wanted to. Not saying that they have, but if I claimed that agents had told me how many players they'd given money to, you'd want me to prove that. If I gave the names, you'd want me to prove I wasn't just making it up. It'd be the same if I claimed that players and coaches had told me about it. You'd ask if I could prove that, and I obviously can't because even if that were true there is just no way for me to do that, and even if there were I wouldn't take it that far because I don't care enough about whether or not people on a message board believe it. Like I said, people can take it or leave it, but if they decide to leave it then I wish they'd at least consider that this whole mess may be far more rampant than they think that it is. If more people wake up to it then it will hopefully finally start to get cleaned up. I guess we'll wait for more facts to come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Man, I hate to be negative but you've really gone off the rails with this one...and it's not the first time. It's not that I don't enjoy reading the water cooler conversation around the sport, but on topics like this when you are writing SO many words and it's not even got one ounce of insider knowledge posted behind it, you're really wasting everyone's time to have to slog through the posts and figure what the hell is real and speculation.

He's saying he has insider knowledge, some people just don't believe him. Based on his history of posts on various topics, I believe him.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

Haha. Sometimes you can't be on the rails and explain something that is off the rails.

I fear that one of these days, the NCAA is going to go off the rails. We may be faced with a world where the NCAA is unable to fairly and effectively control everything, and where people start to question it. That day may be coming!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White