Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

FBI has arrested several NCAA asst. basketball coaches in a corruption scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Just curious as to how you think Worldwide Wes makes a living? No snark but legit question.
    I don't know. But it seems like Wes is a relationship guy. I'd guess He makes his money by knowing people and steering them to others -- now, primarily CAA.

I have no doubt he's sleezy. But whether that means there's an exchange of money with recruits or coaches is another question. I think we all knew Slick Rick was on borrowed time. I'm less confident K and Roy fly that close to the sun. Cal admittedly seems more like Rick, and he's been caught cheating before, but I don't think he needs to pay. He can offer most of his recruits a 1st round guarantee after 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Is that kind of what it's all about? They don't care about NCAA rules, so why else would they get involved? (Serious question.) Hey, it's how they brought down Al Capone! Now the NCAA follows in that fine tradition. How does the NCAA handle this???
    It's about more than tax evasion. That's not even included in their indictments, and they will probably give the families immunity for their testimony. I personally think a competitor school blew the whistle. And the FBI saw that it was a sexy case to bring so they found a legal hook (honest services/bribery involving federally financed funded schools). I think they want to look like the saviors of amateurism. Which, frankly, I don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    It's about more than tax evasion. That's not even included in their indictments, and they will probably give the families immunity for their testimony. I personally think a competitor school blew the whistle. And the FBI saw that it was a sexy case to bring so they found a legal hook (honest services/bribery involving federally financed funded schools). I think they want to look like the saviors of amateurism. Which, frankly, I don't mind.

Add in collusion between agents, shoe company executives, and coaches and that just about sums it all up. It's the collusion that includes the coaches and schools, and the accepting of payments by recruits and their families, that the NCAA will be concerned about.

Not only are these coaches/players going to be banned by the NCAA, they are going to be facing federal indictments, AND eventually the ire of the IRS.

None of this is good.

I'll pay you $100,000 to come work for me should not be a big deal.....unless you are the NCAA. The FBI has the tools to do the job the NCAA can not. The NCAA is probably (or at least should be) embarrassed to see how rampant this is and have it all exposed while they sit by watching.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post

The FBI wouldn’t indict for tax evasion. I’m thinking that will come in the form of a nice audit letter from the IRS asking if they might like to amend their reported income.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

The FBI doesn't indict at all. The US Attorney's Office indicts.

The FBI often works closely with the IRS Criminal Investigation Department (the "CID") and the DOJ Tax Division when its investigation presents potential criminal tax evasion/fraud.

If IRS CID/DOJ Tax want to prosecute a criminal tax case, those indictments too are brought by the US Attorneys Office.

The US Attorney's Office has discretion to grant immunity from prosecution for tax crimes in exchange for cooperation, though as a matter of internal policy it seeks approval from the IRS and the DOJ Tax Division before doing so.

There is also a civil administrative tax procedure (the US Tax Court), but that's not typically used for criminal cases. Rather, it generally resolves disputes between the IRS and taxpayers over the interpretation of the tax code and its impact on the tax owed.

While it's true the NCAA doesn't have the legal tools that the FBI does. They could have, and should have, years ago contacted the FBI to make a case that this behavior was not right and they needed assistance in order to correct it. You don't need to throw entire institutions under the bus, just make sure coaches, players, and third party folks know that this sort of activity is illegal and won't be tolerated.

I'm sure people will counter that money was more important to them, but years ago this stuff wasn't at this level and it was still just a means to get cheap promotion for your institution. It didn't have to raise to this level of dirtiness with others making money that shouldn't even be involved.

They should have also looked at situations like MLB where players can be drafted out of high school, yet still attend college to improve and be a young adult. I can't understand why that isn't an option for all sports.

Junior
    Does anyone think a year or two of UL not on tv would damage ratings, outside of Metro Louisville? Drop the hammer, maybe people would play fair if they saw what could happen.

I wonder what the NCAA hates more.....the fact that this is happening.....or the fact that it became public.

I suspect they were happy just to roll along the way they were and let the dollars flow. Don't rock the boat, and don't look too deep into the closets.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Does anyone think a year or two of UL not on tv would damage ratings, outside of Metro Louisville? Drop the hammer, maybe people would play fair if they saw what could happen.
    I'd like to see 5 years of no post-season play, at least. This is some serious shit!