Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Depaul self reported this so it’s not like the ncaa actively sought this out

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Depaul self reported this so it’s not like the ncaa actively sought this out
    Really? I thought they were being included on the FBI investigation. Maybe it came out after they knew they were part of the investigation, separately?

Sophomore
    No they self reported this years ago right after it happened. It just takes the ncaa a while to process this kinda stuff

We can all sleep better knowing that the NCAA has quelled the menace known as DePaul.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

And how does Leito escape most of the penalties? "NCAA, I didn't know about any of this. No one told me."

He and Sean Miller need to have lunch so Leito can explain how this argument effectively works.

DePaul just can't do anything right
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    We can all sleep better knowing that the NCAA has quelled the menace known as DePaul.
    And yet North Carolina can creat completely bogus classes for an easy A for the jocks, but that’s OK because other students can also take the sham course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

If you admit to doing something wrong, and are then sanctioned accordingly, then nothing about that should surprise you or seem unfair to you. Anyone who goes to court and pleads guilty, and is then shocked that they are found guilty, is a complete moron. What DePaul got was exactly what they should have expected when they decided to come forward with it. I guess you could have a discussion about whether or not you like the rule, but for them to say that what happened to them was unexpected is idiotic. Granted, we are talking about DePaul.

People keep bringing up North Carolina. While the NCAA didn't do anything, they got absolutely clobbered by the organization that oversees their accreditation. Seven people lost their jobs and basically lost their careers since no one in higher education is likely to ever hire them again. I believe one person faced criminal charges. The school spent tens of millions in fines and legal fees, and because the whole UNC system was put on probation it made it difficult for them to receive federal research grants. If you were to ask the president, the chancellor, and the faculty if they would rather go through all that, or instead have to vacate some wins (which really amounts to nothing more than having to pretend that you didn't win games that everyone knows you won) they would have all preferred the latter. Some faculty support athletics. Most don't care, and some are even hostile towards athletics. If losing their careers, and being put on probation, and paying millions in fines isn't going to deter them from teaching fake classes so they can collect an easy paycheck, then there's nothing the NCAA could do that would deter them any further. The reality is that UNC got smacked down pretty hard. Just not by the NCAA.
    Last edited by xubrew; 07-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.

So the people who set up the fake program and let it go on, paid a price. Quelle surprise.

But...the athletic programs which sent dozens and dozens of kids to the programs, kept them eligible, and got championships while making the school a lot of money doesn't even warrant Cleveland State being put on probation? What BS.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    So the people who set up the fake program and let it go on, paid a price. Quelle surprise.

But...the athletic programs which sent dozens and dozens of kids to the programs, kept them eligible, and got championships while making the school a lot of money doesn't even warrant Cleveland State being put on probation? What BS.
    Be that as it may, I don't think there is anything the NCAA could have done that wouldn't have resulted in them getting sued and losing. If you've been paying attention, that's been happening to them a lot lately, and little by little they keep losing their grip. This was one rare instance where they had the sense to not do something that would have landed them in court. If it makes people feel any better, I think the NCAA actually wanted to go after UNC, but that their lawyers (wisely) advised them not to.