Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Okay, you HONESTLY think that only one percent of college basketball players are getting paid?? You REALLY think that??

You know what?? Nevermind. It isn't worth having a conversation because we're just too far apart on what we think the facts are.

I'm not saying XAVIER paid players while Miller was there. I honestly have no idea. I'm just saying that just because a school doesn't have five star recruits doesn't mean their players aren't being targeted by agencies and having money funneled to them.
    I don’t have a problem with agencies funneling money to kids. I do have a problem with coaches paying $10,000 a month for top 10 recruits, and that happens. Coaches just are not taking the risk on kids that could be a miss, but they are paying for can’t miss, at least a select few programs. That has to be punished. And yes only 1% of athletes, if that are getting paid by the coaches. It’s not everyone. There are thousands of high school football and basketball players, so 1% might be a high estimate, it might be less than 1%.

Well, the agencies typically funnel the money to the players THROUGH THE COACHES. So, there's that.

Football is an entirely different animal. There's no AAU involvement, one or two players don't have as much of an impact on the overall success of the team, the players that aren't skill players (which is most of them) aren't as marketable so they're less likely to get as many endorsement deals, and there are far fewer opportunities for six figure salaries on a worldwide scale because there is basically the NFL, and that's it. The bigger concern in football is the boosters. It's not agents trying to pay bribes through back door channels to get clients as much as it is boosters who have a lot of money and want to give some to the players for whatever reason.

If you're saying one percent of all ATHLETES, then yeah. That's probably right. Women's soccer players and men's cross country runners just aren't being targeted by agents. But if you're saying it's one percent of men's college basketball players, then that's a HUGE underestimation. You initially said it was just the five star recruits. That's not even close to the reality. They might be the only ones getting six players before they even get to college, but they're not the only ones getting money in a way that's against NCAA rules. Well, at least for now. It could be that in a few years that the final verdict is that while all these schools did break all these NCAA rules, that it was all irrelevant because the courts will have ruled that the NCAA must change their rules.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-01-2019 at 05:08 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

The wiretap phone call sounds bad, but until they can actually prove that money exchanged hands from Miller to a player's family it's all just talk. Book could have been telling Dawkins anything to keep them in play for Dawkins' paying other kids. There's a difference between the agents and shoe company people doing it and the school's staff directly.

Having a discussion talking about it happening and proof that it happened are two different things. That's not to say that it didn't, but I think the FBI would have led with showing the financial transactions first if they indeed had that proof. Did I miss something?

So, reassure me. Does anybody think this may come back to bite us? I see people on here reviewing the great luck Miller had with his last few recuruiting classes here, and hope there is nothing more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - David Bowers ('95)

I'd say there's a 0% chance any of this is going to affect Xavier in any way. It's just a matter of whether we find out our guys were dirty or not, but Xavier isn't going to get punished for something that happened more than 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I'd say there's a 0% chance any of this is going to affect Xavier in any way. It's just a matter of whether we find out our guys were dirty or not, but Xavier isn't going to get punished for something that happened more than 10 years ago.
    Xavier will not be mentioned in this and very little will happen to any of these programs. It’s the NCAA. Sean Miller, KY and Duke will keep getting the best players and life will go on. As for Xavier, they were not paying players. Now if they were reeling in Western KY recruiting classes then maybe. I mean Xavier doesn’t even want to pay coaches what everyone else’s does, you think they will just pay Recruits? This isn’t rocket science?!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Xavier will not be mentioned in this and very little will happen to any of these programs. It’s the NCAA. Sean Miller, KY and Duke will keep getting the best players and life will go on. As for Xavier, they were not paying players. Now if they were reeling in Western KY recruiting classes then maybe. I mean Xavier doesn’t even want to pay coaches what everyone else’s does, you think they will just pay Recruits? This isn’t rocket science?!
    Lots of assumptions in this paragraph

A community college player told me THEY were getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Well, the agencies typically funnel the money to the players THROUGH THE COACHES. So, there's that.

Football is an entirely different animal. There's no AAU involvement, one or two players don't have as much of an impact on the overall success of the team, the players that aren't skill players (which is most of them) aren't as marketable so they're less likely to get as many endorsement deals, and there are far fewer opportunities for six figure salaries on a worldwide scale because there is basically the NFL, and that's it. The bigger concern in football is the boosters. It's not agents trying to pay bribes through back door channels to get clients as much as it is boosters who have a lot of money and want to give some to the players for whatever reason.

If you're saying one percent of all ATHLETES, then yeah. That's probably right. Women's soccer players and men's cross country runners just aren't being targeted by agents. But if you're saying it's one percent of men's college basketball players, then that's a HUGE underestimation. You initially said it was just the five star recruits. That's not even close to the reality. They might be the only ones getting six players before they even get to college, but they're not the only ones getting money in a way that's against NCAA rules. Well, at least for now. It could be that in a few years that the final verdict is that while all these schools did break all these NCAA rules, that it was all irrelevant because the courts will have ruled that the NCAA must change their rules.
    I’m right back where I started. You paint some picture of what might be true, and then declare that’d its true.

I actually have facts. 2 of them.

#1- I don’t actually know anything about this.
    #2- neither do you

It makes sense to pay a player under only 1 circumstance. When it’s an investment wherein the payer can get a return. That return could be measured in wins which lead to a bigger job, or it could be measured in the fact that the chance or representing the player in his business affairs is increased.

But the issue is not systemic at a low level. Does it happen? Probably. Some chump gives a few hundred to a kid on occasion.

But this issue is about the big money of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I’m right back where I started. You paint some picture of what might be true, and then declare that’d its true.
    I suppose that's fair, but what you're asking me for is not realistic. You say you want facts, but discussing a topic like this on a message board limits what can be provided. I can't exactly supply you with any stats or documents, and if I were to keep giving examples you would remain right back where you started by believing they're statements that I'm merely declaring to be true without providing any facts. People just kinda have to take or leave what I have to say, and if they want to leave it then that's fine.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-01-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White