Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    If you needed any more proof that Jay Bilas and especially Dick Vitale are complete d-bags that will for some reason defend Pitino until the end, here you go:

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ok/1107909002/

Vitale is a complete f'ing moron that somehow forgot the fact that Pitino was involved in not one but three scandals while at Louisville. "Get the truth" ....sure Dickie V from the compulsive liar that is Rick Pitino.

The truth is that Rick Pitino is a compulsive liar who is trying to manipulate the public into believing that he is just a poor innocent victim of circumstance.

This is a novel defense....

The defendants all have pleaded not guilty. Their attorneys are expected to admit in court that their clients broke NCAA rules -- a lot of them. But they're expected to argue that while paying players to attend certain universities is one of the NCAA's greatest sins, it isn't a federal crime. They contend that the defendants never intended to harm the universities, but to actually help them by steering five-star players to certain teams.
    Sort of like UNC. We broke the rules, lots of rules. But we were helping the university. So there. Nah, nah, ne-nah, nah....

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...dal-goes-trial
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

It’s going to be difficult for the feds to prove that the universities involved have actually suffered some kind of injury. Be prepared for the defense to bring out attendance figures and TV money earned by the schools as a result of their lofty rankings and on-court success. Since the NCAA has yet to put penalties on these schools, they can only talk about potential penalties that they might face in the future and not actual damages already incurred.

In the meantime....nothing has changed. Cheaters are still cheating.

What a mess. Glad I don't see any mention of Xavier in it.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...d-trial-starts

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    What a mess. Glad I don't see any mention of Xavier in it.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...d-trial-starts
    Meh. Until something actually happens, it is much to do about nothing. The media keeps stating that this is going to shake the core of college athletics blah blah blah for quite a while now and nothing has happened except Louisville let Pitino go because he ran out of chances.

In other words, I'll believe it when I see it.

Bowens' Father testified today.

Among other schools, he implicated...wait for it...CREIGHTON! He said that one of the assistants offered $100,000 plus a cushy University coaching job if BBowen went there.

Wow.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Bowens' Father testified today.

Among other schools, he implicated...wait for it...CREIGHTON! He said that one of the assistants offered $100,000 plus a cushy University coaching job if BBowen went there.

Wow.
    Yeah I saw Creighton and DePaul on the list, and I was like what the hell??? Especially Creighton, McDermott seems like a stand up guy, I wonder how much he knew about it, but who knows I guess.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Yeah I saw Creighton and DePaul on the list, and I was like what the hell??? Especially Creighton, McDermott seems like a stand up guy, I wonder how much he knew about it, but who knows I guess.
    Probably as much as Pitino. Let's be honest most of these guys are complete scumbags....I'm not saying this kind of stuff happens at xavier, but would anyone really be that surprised??

Maybe in a way there is some good in not being able to recruit 5 star players (not that we should stop trying. I'd love to get some)

But reading stuff about the FBI investigation/trial, it's almost like you have to break rules and pay money to recruits/families which the shoe companies will gladly pony up, just to get a kid to come. That's crazy.

I hope absolutely no one on our campus knew about the Sumner "loan" to him or his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Maybe in a way there is some good in not being able to recruit 5 star players (not that we should stop trying. I'd love to get some)

But reading stuff about the FBI investigation/trial, it's almost like you have to break rules and pay money to recruits/families which the shoe companies will gladly pony up, just to get a kid to come. That's crazy.

I hope absolutely no one on our campus knew about the Sumner "loan" to him or his dad.
    It was 7500 if true, the veracity of Dawkins raises concerns whether he just pocketed that cash to live the life. I know Kansas people aren't certain that De'Sousa received the $20k that is being testified. I am not sure either, however, Sumner did sign with that agent.

Creighton being named is an absolute shocker. If it's true, then there can't be a team in the top 100 that hasn't offered similar including Mack and us. If there was a cushier job to have it is that one for McDermott. The guy can poach fringe talent, get a transfer, and be successful 1-2 times every four years as long as he doesn't lay an egg the off years. All that and he is a solid coach.