Page 46 of 55 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    A errrrrr, Three year ban on postseason play for Louisewer sounds about like the right punishment.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Not so fast......CBS Sports is reporting that the NCAA will allege that MAJOR violations took place at SIX schools. They are not naming those schools right now, but expect the schools mentioned in the court cases to be among those six. Two of them will receive their notice in July. Upwards of 20 schools were mentioned in the court cases and the NCAA investigations will continue.

The NCAA was asked to hold off on any further action until after the federal court cases were done, but evidently that didn’t mean that they were not conducting investigations, only that they were not moving beyond the investigations until now.

This is going to get interesting!
    I doubt it is going to be that interesting. There will be some scholarship loses and some schools will receive a postseason ban...whoopee do. That's basically a slap on the wrist for cheating for I presume decades. I'm pretty sure Kansas, Arizona, Louisville etc will be just fine. Hell, Louisville signed the number 2 recruiting class this year, a year after being banned. The only thing that would make any difference is the death penalty and that's not going to happen to the cash cows of college basketball...maybe prairie view a&m will get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I doubt it is going to be that interesting. There will be some scholarship loses and some schools will receive a postseason ban...whoopee do. That's basically a slap on the wrist for cheating for I presume decades. I'm pretty sure Kansas, Arizona, Louisville etc will be just fine. Hell, Louisville signed the number 2 recruiting class this year, a year after being banned. The only thing that would make any difference is the death penalty and that's not going to happen to the cash cows of college basketball...maybe prairie view a&m will get one.
    If Louisewer gets a post-season ban for two years, does that make some of that recuiting class disappear, with no season ending spotlight?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    If you are saying that the only thing that will stop the cheating is to give programs the death penalty. I agree with you. But I would also say that eliminating all cheating is NEVER going to happen. A)...there are just way to many rules and regulations that very few coaches and staffs can even keep track of. Many times rules are broken and players/coaches/staff/alumni/boosters aren’t even aware that there was a rule about some type of behavior that occurred. B) the odds of getting caught breaking MAJOR infractions is so low that for most schools/coaches it’s worth the risk. By the time they get caught and punished, they have already made millions of dollars. C) if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t competing.

But, if we acknowledge that we can’t stop the cheating, no matter what we do, then we have a couple of options. One is to simplify the rules by making things that were not legal before, legal. By eliminating lots of the rules, especially the ones that make no sense today or can’t be adequately enforced. The other is to just accept that the cheating is going on and to see this whole thing not as a step toward eliminating the cheating, but as an action that will have an effect on the competitive balance of the teams involved and the others not involved.

Personally, I have no hope that nationwide cheating will be eliminated by harsh penalties on a few schools...even the death penalty on those 6 schools. But what I’m looking forward to seeing is how the penalties that might be placed on the schools involved will effect things over the next few years while those penalties are in effect.

That’s why I say it’s about to get interesting. Let’s say that those 6 schools have a postseason ban for the next 4 years. How will that effect the current recruits? How will it effect their ability to recruit over the next 3-4 years? How will it effect other schools ability to compete for league and/or national championships? Will it lead to coaches being fired? And how would that effect other schools coaches? A reduction in scholarships to those 6 schools (and the others) would certainly have an effect on them and other schools too.

Then there is is the whole question about some schools wanting to break away from the NCAA and form their own sanctioning organization and hold their own championships. This has been primarily driven by football. But if the NCAA suddenly give the death penalty to these schools involved does that get basketball coaches interested in the concept to? Keep in mind that the NCAA has only used the death penalty FIVE times....and 2 of those times were to a D2 and a D3 school for soccer and tennis programs respectively. If they hand out 6 death penalties all at once it may be just the incentive that the power 5 conference schools need to actually get them serious about forming their own separate organization. It could be unintentional suicide by the NCAA itself.

The NCAA is going to eventually eliminate themselves. They've become too big, generate (the schools) too much income and cant seem to police themselves. Hence why the Fed is involved now. Its become a colossal joke and the schools know it. Expecting them to do the right thing when you have seen them time and time again protect some of their largest cash cows (North Carolina e.g) is a perfect example of why their model isn't sustainable. Someone eventually will figure out a better way...........

Junior
    I don't understand the logic that the NCAA is afraid to heavily penalize UL, KU, AZ. People watch the tourney because they gamble. They are still going to watch, even if say those 3 are left out. What's the difference between those 3 being left out or losing the first weekend ?

Anything is possible, but I believe the chances of the P5 breaking away for basketball are virtually nil.

In fact, I believe it would be a disaster for them. The value of the media rights package would be a fraction of what it is for the current tournament set up. Such a move may also attract attention in Washington.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I don't understand the logic that the NCAA is afraid to heavily penalize UL, KU, AZ. People watch the tourney because they gamble. They are still going to watch, even if say those 3 are left out. What's the difference between those 3 being left out or losing the first weekend ?
    You think its just the tourney that generates income?

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    You think its just the tourney that generates income?
    No, but UK spent a year with no tv, and no tourney and did fine. They were allowed to show games on tv, but had to wait until the games were over (tape delayed).

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    No, but UK spent a year with no tv, and no tourney and did fine. They were allowed to show games on tv, but had to wait until the games were over (tape delayed).
    Think of it like this. You are the owner of a large corporation. You have some incredibly important employees that generate millions of dollars of profit for your company. Why would you want to do anything to ever jeopardize that? A slap on the wrist is often the penalty.......rarely do schools get heavy sanctions. Stripping UL of their championship......cost the NCAA nothing.......