Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mistabeecee41 View Post
    UPDATE:
    Muhammad commits at 8PM. Supposedly down to ̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ the Buckeyes.
    Fixed.

I think it's pretty much a done deal that he's going to OSU.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Fixed.

And that's why Holtmann left Butler. In a span of a week, he'll have secured 3 4-star recruits.

Why are we having such a rough summer recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    And that's why Holtmann left Butler. In a span of a week, he'll have secured 3 4-star recruits.

Why are we having such a rough summer recruiting?
    I'm basing this off nothing but my own feelings but I think it's related to what you're talking about with Holtman. OSU has a buzz about it now with Holtman, while recruiting under Thad had dropped off. Purdue has picked it up a bit after just sending a guy to the NBA and making a Sweet 16. IU obviously has a new buzz as well with Archie.

So I think it's a combination of bad luck and our traditional recruiting rivals picking it up a bit this off season. Also add in that X has a really good class coming in this year and some players may be scared off.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I'm basing this off nothing but my own feelings but I think it's related to what you're talking about with Holtman. OSU has a buzz about it now with Holtman, while recruiting under Thad had dropped off. Purdue has picked it up a bit after just sending a guy to the NBA and making a Sweet 16. IU obviously has a new buzz as well with Archie.

So I think it's a combination of bad luck and our traditional recruiting rivals picking it up a bit this off season. Also add in that X has a really good class coming in this year and some players may be scared off.
    I'd say that's the biggest reason why they're struggling. I mean OSU still has a ton of resources and they can offer all of these guys a ton of playing time. X is losing Tre and JP true, but still going to have a lot of talent only 1 year above them they'll be competing with for playing time the first couple years. In years past when they had a big class come in (Tu's class and this current senior class) -- They had a year to relax and only get 1-2 recruits. Just so happens this year they need 3-4 so a little different dynamic

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    I'd say that's the biggest reason why they're struggling. I mean OSU still has a ton of resources and they can offer all of these guys a ton of playing time. X is losing Tre and JP true, but still going to have a lot of talent only 1 year above them they'll be competing with for playing time the first couple years. In years past when they had a big class come in (Tu's class and this current senior class) -- They had a year to relax and only get 1-2 recruits. Just so happens this year they need 3-4 so a little different dynamic
    I don't buy this argument. Yes, we have a very good incoming class, but so do a lot of teams and they're landing equally good recruits for '18.

We shouldn't expect to recruit at a high level every year?

I don't buy this argument. Yes, we have a very good incoming class, but so do a lot of teams and they're landing equally good recruits for '18.

We have been. We've had 4 straight high level classes. The problem with 2018 is the staff was trying to get Walter and then 4 or so high level ready to play recruits. I just think we've been unlucky in most of these situations. Even if we land 1-2 more top guys we'll be fine. The staff will just have to find someone via grad transfer or decommitment in the spring.

No I agree, we should for sure expect to be at a high level every year. I know the staff does. I'm just guessing at why they're finishing 2nd/3rd on these guys this year. They have a lot of ties to Indiana area which got em Tre and Scruggs. This year they went for the same caliber and high ranking guys, but I don't think they had the same inside track to em all. So, I don't know. Maybe they hadn't focused enough time to just specifically one or 2 them? I don't have that information.

For some reason, I have a feeling it's going to be a domino effect once we get one of the ESPN Top 100 guys, I feel like a couple more will spark more interest and see we're building something special. I'd love to get Noah Locke, but with Scruggs just arriving I don't know how plausible that is, and with Q still on roster too. It's nice we have some depth, but I really hope we don't strike out big time on this class. One bad class can set you back a bit. That being said Mack & company have an eye for talent, and I think they develop players pretty well. We'll be fine regardless as our stock is trending upwards in college circles.