Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prayers Please - Hurricane Irma

This monster Category 5 hurricane is now hitting the Virgin Islands and is coming to Puerto Rico. No signs of decreasing its power thus far and its going to be tough, very tough. Thereafter, forecasters are talking about Dominican Republic, Cuba, Bahamas and Florida (or the East Coast) as the next targets. To put it in perspective, Harvey was a Category 4, this is a 5, although Harvey's rain was unprecedented. So prayers are more than welcome. Good night.
    May the X be with you....Quitting is never an option.

Prayers to all those in the path. This is not one to ride out if you can avoid it. Don't mess with Irma! Run away!!!

It's as big as....OHIO.

Some are arguing that a "6" designation be created; 180 MPH will do that. I can't imagine life in the Leeward islands right now.

NE FL is not in the projected cone of impact at this point, yet we're facing forecasted 60-MPH winds and 12 inches of rain by Sunday. Water and gasoline have been virtually wiped out even here.

BTW, we're trying to get a condo sold in South Ponte Vedra Beach (9/15 closing date) and I'm facing follow-up hip related surgery. Timing is everything.

Still, I think about the people in Houston and the people who will be taking a direct hit from this monster, and I consider myself mildly lucky.

Edit: I stand corrected - it's 400 miles wide; might be bigger than Ohio.

Prayers for all who must deal with this thing.
    Last edited by xudash; 09-05-2017 at 10:34 PM.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    It's as big as....OHIO.

Some are arguing that a "6" designation be created; 180 MPH will do that. I can't imagine life in the Leeward islands right now.

NE FL is not in the projected cone of impact at this point, yet we're facing forecasted 60-MPH winds and 12 inches of rain by Sunday. Water and gasoline have been virtually wiped out even here.

BTW, we're trying to get a condo sold in South Ponte Vedra Beach (9/15 closing date) and I'm facing follow-up hip related surgery. Timing is everything.

Still, I think about the people in Houston and the people who will be taking a direct hit from this monster, and I consider myself mildly lucky.

Edit: I stand corrected - it's 400 miles wide; might be bigger than Ohio.

Prayers for all who must deal with this thing.
    I am so lucky I left Antigua to go to Cayman, reports from friends say tons of flooding, roofs ripped off, luckily they all bunkered down in the school to survive because the infrastructure was built for that. Most students evacuated, but man, yeah not good with Jose coming right after too. But they say the place already looks like a ghost town.

My Go-To:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.
    Peace, prayers . . . and good luck, everybody.
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    My Go-To:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

[FONT="][/FONT]
    [FONT="]Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

[/FONT]

Amen.
    Thanks Mel. I just offered that one up.
    X A V I E R

Antigua and Barbuda reporting 95% of structures destroyed or with significant damage.
    2023 Sweet 16

A "cold front" from Canada is finally making its way into Florida. It will have, in the opinion of some people, a positive effect on this thing, bending it to the north and hopefully to the north/northeast.

However, the current relevant models show that the Keys and Miami will take direct or near-direct hits.

It is surreal, waiting for something like this to arrive at or near your doorstep.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    My Go-To:

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

Amen.

Amen!

And after yall say some prayers for the victims of Irma, say a few prayers that Jose will not do much damage either. It looks like he might be heading towards the middle of the Caribbean.

Dash, hope you and all the Muskies in Florida stay safe this weekend.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.