Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    term limits.

That is all.

amen!

Quote Originally Posted by kmcrawfo View Post
    I certainly may be misunderstanding this, but it seems from my reading that President Trump is slowly phasing out this program that President Obama put in place through executive action. Congress never passed any laws stating this program can/should exist. President Trump has urged congress to legally pass something similar to DACA which allows these children to stay, but has stated it is not the role of the president to setup this type of system through executive privilege. If Congress passes legislation legally implementing a program like DACA, the president will sign it into law thus protecting it from a future president doing the same things he (Trump) just did.

The pressure at this point, in my estimate, should be on congress to actually pass and do something at this point in order to fix this. If people want these DREAMers to stay, then they should be yelling at their congressmen to step up and pass the appropriate legislation to allow this to happen.

This seems like a perfect bi-partisan issues for both parties to tackle and work together on quickly without a bunch of BS pork attached.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran Desert Muskie View Post
    As could be expected, DACA is a contentious issue out here in Arizona. These law-abiding kids deserve a pathway to legalization or citizenship, but Trumpster is correct that it must come from Congress not via executive order. That being said, I hope a Congress does not reward the parents of these kids who illegally brought them to the U.S. or kept them in the U.S. like Obama did with DAPA. The parents/wrongdoers should not benefit and should not be included in any new legislation.
    Obama did not usurp Congress with DACA; DACA was essentially Obama exercising his executive authority for immigration enforcement based on our limited government resources. This is really nothing new, and past presidents have exercised similar authority when it comes to deportation measures. DACA does not provide a "pathway to legalization", so it does not have the teeth of any Congressional measure. People who have DACA aren't even considered to be in a "legal status". The first two components of the DACA acronym ("deferred action") essentially mean the government has agreed to delay the deportation or other immigration action against an individual until further notice.

DACA was never meant to be permanent relief for these kids. Obama simply bought them some time until Congress passed something more substantial like a DREAM Act, or the next administration rescinded it. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend like Obama circumvented Congress to strong-arm some major immigration policy.
    Last edited by kyxu; 09-07-2017 at 12:00 AM.

An executive order is basically saying, "I'm smarter than you-ooo".

The United States Code clearly defines who is entitled to enter or remain in the country legally and who is entitled to become a naturalized citizen. DACA created a new classification of those authorized to be in the country in direct contravention of federal law. A president's duty is to enforce or execute the law, not create new laws via executive order. The United States is no better than a dictatorship if a president can unilaterally create new laws by executive order.

Again, dreamers ought to be given legal status, but that must be via Congressional legislation, not an executive order.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran Desert Muskie View Post
    The United States Code clearly defines who is entitled to enter or remain in the country legally and who is entitled to become a naturalized citizen. DACA created a new classification of those authorized to be in the country in direct contravention of federal law. A president's duty is to enforce or execute the law, not create new laws via executive order. The United States is no better than a dictatorship if a president can unilaterally create new laws by executive order.

Again, dreamers ought to be given legal status, but that must be via Congressional legislation, not an executive order.
    That's the thing, DACA doesn't do any of what you say it does here. It doesn't "entitle" or "legalize" anything. It doesn't give legal status, merely defers deportation for certain individuals. Article II of the Constitution gives the President ultimate authority to carry out federal law, so it is within the President's authority to prioritize removal for certain categories of individuals out of the interests of national security or allocation of government resources.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    That's the thing, DACA doesn't do any of what you say it does here. It doesn't "entitle" or "legalize" anything. It doesn't give legal status, merely defers deportation for certain individuals. Article II of the Constitution gives the President ultimate authority to carry out federal law, so it is within the President's authority to prioritize removal for certain categories of individuals out of the interests of national security or allocation of government resources.
    That's a stretch.

That's some commerce clause level stretching there.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    An executive order is basically saying, "I'm smarter than you-ooo".
    Yah and I'm smart too, so maybe the President isnt smarter

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    That's a stretch.

That's some commerce clause level stretching there.
    I mean, I guess. The president is the head of the executive branch, which carries out and executes federal law. From an immigration standpoint, the president has often exercised the authority to prioritize immigration enforcement. That's essentially what DACA is.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    I mean, I guess. The president is the head of the executive branch, which carries out and executes federal law. From an immigration standpoint, the president has often exercised the authority to prioritize immigration enforcement. That's essentially what DACA is.
    so muslim ban is cool?

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    so muslim ban is cool?
    Well, the difference with the travel ban was that it was found to target a specific religion, which is unconstitutional.