Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gene Keady once said a college coach could not see a 7 footer walk down the sidewalk without offering him a scholarship

Sophomore
    We needed a big with Sean and Kerem graduating at the end of the year. On paper Tyrique will be our lone big on the roster next year. This pick-up indicates that Kentravious is not coming to Xavier. The staff would not have taken two big back to the basket centers.

I like the pick-up. Walter is young, has legit size, and has been progressing really well over the last 3-4 months.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    We needed a big with Sean and Kerem graduating at the end of the year. On paper Tyrique will be our lone big on the roster next year. This pick-up indicates that Kentravious is not coming to Xavier. The staff would not have taken two big back to the basket centers.

I like the pick-up. Walter is young, has legit size, and has been progressing really well over the last 3-4 months.
    We're still going to need to pickup another legit big to backup Tyrique next year. Walter is a long, long, long ways away. If we're expecting minutes out of him next year, we're in big trouble.

I know highlight videos are just highlight videos, but this kid is RAW. Big Kent also appeared to be very raw, but had a polish to him. Walter doesn't appear to have that yet.

For his size it looks like he moves really well. Knowing how his father played in the NFL, I bet this kid will have great work ethic.

A center doesn't need to be the best scorer right away. He just needs to learn where to be to rebound and make a pass for the best play.

I still think Jones will make it through. And while someone here said you don't take a back-to-the-basket player like this two years in a row, I'd say the fact that Walter is a local kid—and who his parents are—sort of throws any strategy like that out the window. You pick up good locals with pro athlete genes when you can.

But yeah, we probably still need to be recruiting bigs, as Walter will only do so much early on. Maybe he'll surprise everyone as a frosh!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    For his size it looks like he moves really well. Knowing how his father played in the NFL, I bet this kid will have great work ethic.

A center doesn't need to be the best scorer right away. He just needs to learn where to be to rebound and make a pass for the best play.

I still think Jones will make it through. And while someone here said you don't take a back-to-the-basket player like this two years in a row, I'd say the fact that Walter is a local kid—and who his parents are—sort of throws any strategy like that out the window. You pick up good locals with pro athlete genes when you can.

But yeah, we probably still need to be recruiting bigs, as Walter will only do so much early on. Maybe he'll surprise everyone as a frosh!
    Agreed...he may be a project, but he's not a risky one. Going to be a hard worker, will improve his game, and grades/eligibility won't be a concern.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by mistabeecee41 View Post
    We're still going to need to pickup another legit big to backup Tyrique next year. Walter is a long, long, long ways away. If we're expecting minutes out of him next year, we're in big trouble.

I know highlight videos are just highlight videos, but this kid is RAW. Big Kent also appeared to be very raw, but had a polish to him. Walter doesn't appear to have that yet.
    Jake is a long term piece, but they are still looking for immediate help. They have had some recent unofficals with some bigs, and have a few officials coming up with Colin Castleton, Shaq Carter, Jermaine Harris.
    Last edited by xufan02; 08-20-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    “Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships.” -Michael Jordan

I am a fan of Joe Walter.

If he can use that body to box out and rebound he can have a very successful career at Xavier. Rebounding is one aspect of the game that doesn't get that much talk compared to others, but we are at or near the league leaders in rebound differential every year. I would guess as much as any other factor it is the secret to our success.

You guys need to do more for the lazy guys like me and provide some linkage. I expect first class service around here. Throw the Snipe a bone!
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

X Marks the Spot - Jake Walter

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

I wouldn't expect Walter to put up much by way of numbers for at least 3 yrs. And, sadly, I wouldn't expect KJ to even make it to campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    You guys need to do more for the lazy guys like me and provide some linkage. I expect first class service around here. Throw the Snipe a bone!
    I was thinking the same thing, Snipe. Not much out there, so I did some (very minimal) digging. This is what's readily available:

Scout Profile: Jake Walter, Covington Catholic, Center (BK)... not much there

Kysports.TV gives Walter a generous 7'1" measurement in the title here, but there's a video embedded showing some of his CovCath highlights.

Here's a video from last year with Indiana Elite... his clips start around 0:50.

Lastly, he leads off in this video from a few months ago:

I don't think I ever saw him jump off of one foot. Dude can eat space though. That's a big guy for being that tall
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!