Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dnnrobert View Post
    No MAC school is going to draw enough eyeballs/butts in the seats to make it worthwhile. Xavier's hatred of Dayton aside, an Ohio version of the Indiana Classic makes no sense unless it's OSU, Xavier, UC, and UD.

It's a shame US Bank is such a dump. Rotating it between US Bank and Nationwide would make it pretty worthwhile for all parties IMO. You could argue Dayton would get the short end of the stick, but they are nearly equidistant to Cincinnati and Columbus and would be the lowest-profile school in the tournament, so screw 'em.
    I'm not being driven by a hatred of UD over this. I'm very comfortable in feeling very good that I'm a Xavier guy versus being tied to UD. I don't see UD in the rear view mirror any longer; we've completely blown well beyond them. It's more about being able to have one more laugh at Little Brother's expense.

Not exactly a mature disposition on my part, but I really don't care in this case.

Seriously, I get that as things stand presently, UD might be a better option than the top MAC school in Ohio, but someone will have to keep an eye on how well their new coach does up there, as well on the police blotter to see how many more UD basketball players land in jail. By the time they actually put this event together, if they ever put it together, it is not a forgone conclusion that UD will present the best 4th participant option.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    I'm not being driven by a hatred of UD over this. I'm very comfortable in feeling very good that I'm a Xavier guy versus being tied to UD. I don't see UD in the rear view mirror any longer; we've completely blown well beyond them. It's more about being able to have one more laugh at Little Brother's expense.

Not exactly a mature disposition on my part, but I really don't care in this case.

Seriously, I get that as things stand presently, UD might be a better option than the top MAC school in Ohio, but someone will have to keep an eye on how well their new coach does up there, as well on the police blotter to see how many more UD basketball players land in jail. By the time they actually put this event together, if they ever put it together, it is not a forgone conclusion that UD will present the best 4th participant option.
    I guess that's true, we aren't looking into the future, mainly thinking about it now. I do also agree with the sentiments of how we are miles ahead of Dayton in terms of program and prestige. I do like the fan counter argument though, who'd sell more tickets, UD or Ohio? All UD has is an irrational over-hyping of their basketball team, it's what gets them through the day. I feel as if the MAC schools could care less. In terms of business, UD is the smart move, unless something crazy happens and Miami, Ohio, or Akron or someone gets good... crazy like LeBron retiring and deciding to become head coach of Akron crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I guess that's true, we aren't looking into the future, mainly thinking about it now. I do also agree with the sentiments of how we are miles ahead of Dayton in terms of program and prestige. I do like the fan counter argument though, who'd sell more tickets, UD or Ohio? All UD has is an irrational over-hyping of their basketball team, it's what gets them through the day. I feel as if the MAC schools could care less. In terms of business, UD is the smart move, unless something crazy happens and Miami, Ohio, or Akron or someone gets good... crazy like LeBron retiring and deciding to become head coach of Akron crazy.
    Fan attendance for such an event is a meaningful consideration. No one wants this thing being staged only to end up with a partially full venue for it.

With that noted, we're talking about an event that would involve one of the largest universities in the world. We're talking about an event that would obviously be staged in the State of Ohio, where all four participating schools are located, irrespective of which city it would be staged in. So, my thoughts on this include:

1. Yes, Ohio State is a "football" school, but anyone who believes Buckeye fans wouldn't show up for something like this isn't being realistic; it wouldn't take much for 10k of their fans
    to show up.
    2. I would think that UC and Xavier would throw at least 5k in attendance each at this thing.
    3. Especially if its Akron or Toledo, the novelty of such an event with them participating along with the likes of Ohio State, Xavier and UC would draw some of them out.
    4. Casual fan interest would probably contribute 2k to 3k in attendance.

The bottom line is that the sweater vests aren't even needed to make this event a success.

Big caveat: seating allocations. First come, first served, or base allotment per school? If minimums per school become part of the mix, then UD would most likely be included. The bad news for them is that they would get to watch the Flyers lose to Xavier by 30 or 40 again, except without palm trees and Mickey outside this time around.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    I think this would be really fun. The Crossroads Classic is always something I look forward to watching, and I'm not a fan of any of the schools. Obviously X and UC would never play each other in the event, they would just rotate between OSU and UD. The hard part, is where to have the event.

Quicken Loans in Cleveland would be the best venue, but it makes no sense for those 4 schools to go all the way up there.
    US Bank is trash. Until they upgrade, they'd never have it there
    UD would never be agreed upon to give Dayton a home game out of it.

My guess is Nationwide Arena in Columbus? I assume they could put a basketball court in there since it's only used for hockey right?
    Nationwide has hosted men's and women's tourney games. But more than half the seats are beyond the baseline.

I d be OK playing in the Shott in a 4 team/2 game format if we got 1/4 of the tickets and revenue. It's a real basketball arena.

I don't think Ohio State will come to Cincinnati for either us or UC, even on a 2 for 1, unless it's to that godawful arena to fulfill a promise to a recruit.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post

I don't think Ohio State will come to Cincinnati for either us or UC, even on a 2 for 1, unless it's to that godawful arena to fulfill a promise to a recruit.
    Then this will never happen and talk of it from OSU is just lip service. I'd rather work out a OH/KY battle between UC. XU, UL, and UK. Let's do that instead. Games to be played at BB&T

Yes, I know it's a pipedream
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    Then this will never happen and talk of it from OSU is just lip service. I'd rather work out a OH/KY battle between UC. XU, UL, and UK. Let's do that instead. Games to be played at BB&T

Yes, I know it's a pipedream
    Of course it's a pipedream. It would also be one of the more difficult tickets in sporting history.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Link

The era of Ohio State avoiding regular season, non-conference games against intra-state rivals may be coming to an close with Chris Holtmann at the helm of the program.
    Ohio State has not played Cincinnati in a non-conference game since 2006. They have not faced off with Dayton for nearly 30 years, since 1988, and Xavier has not gotten a regular season game against the Buckeyes since 1935, but a change to that philosophy is at least under consideration.
    “We’ve engaged in some of those conversations,” Holtmann told reporters this week, adding later that “part of our job is to provide a game that’s exciting for our fans. We’re working on some things. It’s probably, in terms of a final decision, a ways off, but I’m certainly open to it.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    There is no reason Ohio can't do what Indiana does. Every Year Indiana either plays Notre Dame or Butler at the Crossroads Classic (they play Purdue in the Big Ten). Purdue plays the Other (and in the odd year where IU/Purdue play once I believe IU would play Purdue and Butler would Play ND).

Ohio State, Xavier, UC, UD should play in the same type of format.
    It is my understanding that Chris Holtmann is hugely in favor of this. He's kind of like Tony Bennett at Virginia in the sense that he wants to play the regional teams, and sees value to playing them in home and homes, and doesn't think the world will end if happen to not win a few of them. Virginia has lost to GW and VCU, yet still went on to earn #2 seeds or better. Not everyone at Ohio State is as keen on the idea, but they at least seem to be listening. I'm basing that on the fact that they haven't told him to put a sock in it yet, even after he kind of went public with it. He has also apparently met with the big brass, including Gene Smith, about doing it.

Now, I THINK the proposed format would basically be that it would be a five team round robin, which would make it an exempt tournament. XU, UD, OSU, and UC would play a double header at a neutral site (well, mostly neutral anyway), and then play at home against one of the other two teams, and on the road against the other team. In other words, every year those four teams would get a home, neutral, and road game, and the schedule would alternate. There would also be a fifth smaller team that would play a buy game against the other four teams. This would make it a four game exempt event (assuming all the games were played within two weeks of each other). This doesn't mean that the teams couldn't play in another exempt such as Maui, or Old Spice, or whatever. It just means that if they weren't, then they could count this as an exempt event and still play 31 total games. The smaller buy team would get four buy games, which means four paydays, and have it count as an exempt even for them as well. It also probably wouldn't be the same team every year.

Now, as much as I would like to see this, and as great as I think it would be, I think the chances of it happening are way less than half. There are just too many alpha minded programs who would want too many concessions. But, I do think that Ohio State will seek out games against Ohio schools one way or another. I do think UC v Ohio State will become somewhat of a long standing home and home to where it's a virtual fixture game. I also think that Ohio State would look to alternate playing home and homes with XU and UD. So, they'd be playing UC every year, and either UD or XU every year, and probably stagger it so one game is at home and the other is away.

That's what I think Holtmann would like. Now, whether it happens or not, we shall see.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Junior
    Well Brew, you totally went off the rails with that idea. That has as much chance of happening as Xavier joining the Big Ten in all sports including football.

UD and Wright State should face off in a play in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    Nationwide has hosted men's and women's tourney games. But more than half the seats are beyond the baseline.

I d be OK playing in the Shott in a 4 team/2 game format if we got 1/4 of the tickets and revenue. It's a real basketball arena.

Both Nationwide and Shottenstein have hockey rink dimensions though. And having sat behind the basket for multiple St. X games at the Shott, I can tell you it sucks just as much as any NBA/NHL combo arena.