Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Holtman Discusses Reigniting In-State Rivalries

Link

The era of Ohio State avoiding regular season, non-conference games against intra-state rivals may be coming to an close with Chris Holtmann at the helm of the program.
    Ohio State has not played Cincinnati in a non-conference game since 2006. They have not faced off with Dayton for nearly 30 years, since 1988, and Xavier has not gotten a regular season game against the Buckeyes since 1935, but a change to that philosophy is at least under consideration.
    “We’ve engaged in some of those conversations,” Holtmann told reporters this week, adding later that “part of our job is to provide a game that’s exciting for our fans. We’re working on some things. It’s probably, in terms of a final decision, a ways off, but I’m certainly open to it.”
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

There is no reason Ohio can't do what Indiana does. Every Year Indiana either plays Notre Dame or Butler at the Crossroads Classic (they play Purdue in the Big Ten). Purdue plays the Other (and in the odd year where IU/Purdue play once I believe IU would play Purdue and Butler would Play ND).

Ohio State, Xavier, UC, UD should play in the same type of format.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

As I sit here in Columbus ... I'd be all for a 2 at our place for one at theirs with OSU.
    (wow, a cynical post from WCWIII, that does not happen often ... but come on 1935 with Xavier?)
    Last edited by WCWIII; 08-06-2017 at 09:31 PM.

I'm personally indifferent to Xavier playing Ohio State. It would be kind of fun (once they don't suck anymore), but I don't have any huge desire to play them specifically. Other than the Thad fiasco and the NCAA Tournament debacle, I don't really think much about Ohio State basketball as it relates to Xavier. Pretty much two unrelated topics.

Interesting thought, but I'm not sure there's really a strong desire to make this happen. There's not a lot stopping these teams from just putting each other on the schedule, but the fact that it doesn't happen makes me think (or in some cases know) there's a reason for that. I would prefer to just schedule a home and home with OSU if they're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MuskieXU View Post
    Interesting thought, but I'm not sure there's really a strong desire to make this happen. There's not a lot stopping these teams from just putting each other on the schedule, but the fact that it doesn't happen makes me think (or in some cases know) there's a reason for that. I would prefer to just schedule a home and home with OSU if they're interested.
    There are at least 5 Big Ten teams I'd rather schedule before Ohio St. (Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State)
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    There are at least 5 Big Ten teams I'd rather schedule before Ohio St. (Wisconsin, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State)
    There would be something especially satisfying about crushing OSU as compared to those other teams, but I agree that its mostly just another game at this point. I have a feeling this conversation is going to end up with OSU acting like its doing the other schools a big favor by offering to play them, and then insisting the event is held yearly in Columbus at Nationwide. I could take it or leave it.

If OSU only offers to play at their place, they can suck it. They aren't worth it.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    There is no reason Ohio can't do what Indiana does. Every Year Indiana either plays Notre Dame or Butler at the Crossroads Classic (they play Purdue in the Big Ten). Purdue plays the Other (and in the odd year where IU/Purdue play once I believe IU would play Purdue and Butler would Play ND).

Ohio State, Xavier, UC, UD should play in the same type of format.
    I think this would be really fun. The Crossroads Classic is always something I look forward to watching, and I'm not a fan of any of the schools. Obviously X and UC would never play each other in the event, they would just rotate between OSU and UD. The hard part, is where to have the event.

Quicken Loans in Cleveland would be the best venue, but it makes no sense for those 4 schools to go all the way up there.
    US Bank is trash. Until they upgrade, they'd never have it there
    UD would never be agreed upon to give Dayton a home game out of it.

My guess is Nationwide Arena in Columbus? I assume they could put a basketball court in there since it's only used for hockey right?

I can't imagine Xavier ever scheduling dayton again as long as Chris Mack is around. The way those knuckledragging, mouth breathing, jelly bellied, booger eating morons treated the Mack family at Christy's induction to the dayton hall of fame cemented that decision. As for the OSU thing, I'm sure we'll probably get them as part of this Big East/B10 challenge at some point. Kind of cool if we played up there, we could fill the area w/ 75% X fans and make it feel like an away game for the buckeyes. I would like to get revenge for that tournament game. Other than that, I agree, much rather play Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin or IU... and Michigan too I guess.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.