Hawaii'17 to Moloka'i

Wife and I just got back from Moloka'i, the not oft traveled island in the chain. During our end of trip layover on Oahu we bumped into an X grad in Waikiki.

Moloka'i is definitely for a specific type of traveler. If you want out of the way, no people, empty beaches, and a very laid back atmosphere this is your island. If you still want the aloha atmosphere with restaurants, tour options, busy beaches stick with Maui.

It was crazy how empty it was, our condo area with two sections had several buildings completely boarded up and a defunct golf course. It was, however, a true look at Hawaii untouched by extensive tourism. There was plenty to do and nobody there clogging things up. Moloka'i also has a 30 mile stretch of untouched coral reef.

Any lepers?

Thinking towards Xavier BBall in Hawaii in 2018! Except for the golf course being defunct, Moloka'i sounds great.

Spent a week in Molokai about a year ago. Really an amazing and beautiful island. There is virtually no tourist infrastructure, although there are a few condo and hotel options. The people of the island have truly resisted the type of development you see in Maui and elsewhere. Not a single traffic light on the island...

The leper colony is still there, and it's one hell of a tour. The only way to access the colony, which sits on a peninsula at the bottom of the some of the tallest sea cliffs in the world, is by plane or by hiking (or muling) down the side of a very steep and jagged cliff. (We hiked down, flew out...) The colony at Kaluapapa is managed by the National Park Service, and there are still surviving patients living there. The colony is entirely self-sufficient, occasionally receiving supplies by barge, and even has its own post office.

Definitely not a trip for most. But, for me, one of the best adventures I've been on. And for you pilgrims, the colony was home to two saints - Saint Damien, and Saint Marianne of Molokai, both missionaries who cared for the sick.

There is one boat to Molokai from Maui in the morning, and one that returns back to Maui in the evening. (or vise versa, I forget) Either way, if you wanted to visit Kaluapapa, you would need to plan an overnight, and possibly two.

Junior
    I would love to visit Molokai. I prefer trips that have some spiritual component to them. So, walking in the footsteps of St. Damien and St. Marianne would be a tremendous gift, not to mention encountering individuals who are often overlooked by our society.
    zip em up

Xeus is right, it's not an island for all but if like an adventure this is definitely a good option. The boat from Maui is no more. There are also no busses on the island.

I thought I heard that father Damien's hand was buried there. If you hit Maui take the flight to Kalaupapa, tour is sad but worth it to see what two people did there.