Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sophomore

Jason Williams’ conversation with Greg Christopher

Football: How far back on the back burner? And does the stove really have to be electric?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...l/70361498007/

It certainly sounds like they are trying to figure out a way to make it happen. He was very clear in his statement in terms of how viable it would be for the university.

Butler and Dayton in terms of who we primarily compete against for students. Free will is a bitch: some kids make good decisions and others end up at VD or Beavisler.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Dash:

Maybe a $20 million stadium won’t be needed if alternatives are available and deemed acceptable.

All-Conference
    Does Xavier currently have an enrollment issue? Is it declining?

I honestly don't care about any of it unless it screws with hoops. Stay away from the cash cow!!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

I honestly don't care about any of it unless it screws with hoops. Stay away from the cash cow!!
    My understanding there has been a decline of students to the tune of 1,100 plus over the past few years which, if accurate, is fairly significant. I imagine most schools look at various ways to attract students. Of course, any proposal would have to make economic sense at least in the long. This is true whether the proposal being athletic or academic. An example of the latter, the medical school seems to be an acceptable risk after vetting. Football should be no different in determining the return-on-investment.

Quote Originally Posted by nickgyp View Post
    Dash:

Maybe a $20 million stadium won’t be needed if alternatives are available and deemed acceptable.
    Nick - they won’t “half-ass” it. Perhaps crank it up that way on a short term basis, but the temporary facility solution would have to make sense and be sufficiently attractive to recruits. It would have to be on campus and well done at some point.

Drudy - it won’t hurt the crown jewel. They don’t think or operate that way. Per Greg, EVERY athletic program is net revenue positive to the university at this point. They won’t implement a bleeder.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Nick - they won’t “half-ass” it. Perhaps crank it up that way on a short term basis, but the temporary facility solution would have to make sense and be sufficiently attractive to recruits. It would have to be on campus and well done at some point.

Drudy - it won’t hurt the crown jewel. They don’t think or operate that way. Per Greg, EVERY athletic program is net revenue positive to the university at this point. They won’t implement a bleeder.
    Agreed that it should neither half-ass; and also that it won’t be done if there is any detriment to basketball. Scholarship football poses a bigger risk but non-scholarship seems to work in many cases. I am certain all due consideration will be given to any impact on basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

Yes they are facing enrollment issues and they better figure it out or it will mess with hoops at some point. Xavier isn’t alone as less people will be attending 4 year colleges or colleges altogether. The other issue is it’s currently about 60/40 female to male ratio. Now if you are a young guy, great, but that isn’t good for Xavier University. They are trying to be creative.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Yes they are facing enrollment issues and they better figure it out or it will mess with hoops at some point. Xavier isn’t alone as less people will be attending 4 year colleges or colleges altogether. The other issue is it’s currently about 60/40 female to male ratio. Now if you are a young guy, great, but that isn’t good for Xavier University. They are trying to be creative.
    Sounds like they need to be marketing the 40/60 ratio to prospective male students!

Quote Originally Posted by JEHARDI View Post
    Sounds like they need to be marketing the 40/60 ratio to prospective male students!
    Certainly wasn’t that way back when I was there….lol.