Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by throwbackmuskie View Post
    I get what you guys are saying, but I still think butler is still a ways off from being Xavier like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup, and I get the impression this is how the Athletic Department and a large segment of their fans want it to be.

They seem to want to continue to operate like a Horizon League/A10 program in the Big East.

I've said since day one of the Big East if they didn't adapt it would eventually bite them. It almost did with the Brandon Miller fiasco but Holtmann bailed them out. We will see what happens with Jordan and whatever staff he assembles.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOWNSUC View Post
    I wish Xavier went to back to back championship games. Hell, I'll just take a Final Four.
    NCAA Tournament success is a big factor in how programs are perceived.

How program are actually structured and how they operate can be a different matter.

Butler caught lightening with Stevens and was the Little Engine that could out of the Horizon League to make it to both of those games. Good for them.

But it's this simple, and I don't have blue/silver glasses on: I wouldn't trade Xavier's place with Butler's place in all this for anything.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Chalmers0 View Post
    Yup, and I get the impression this is how the Athletic Department and a large segment of their fans want it to be.

They seem to want to continue to operate like a Horizon League/A10 program in the Big East.

I've said since day one of the Big East if they didn't adapt it would eventually bite them. It almost did with the Brandon Miller fiasco but Holtmann bailed them out. We will see what happens with Jordan and whatever staff he assembles.
    Lifelong Indiana resident (except for X). Hinkle Fieldhouse holds a special place in my heart. I've watched numerous High School Basketball games there growing up. It's a historic landmark, which Indianapolis treasures. Butler has incredible memories there. All that to say. The day is coming where Butler will need to make a change to an on-campus arena that is updated with suites, more concessions, different seating options. Maybe there is some way they can still use Hinkle with the program. But the day is fast approaching where they will have to make that decision. If they wish to remain competitive in this conference, those are the the kinds of choices that will need to be made.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    NCAA Tournament success is a big factor in how programs are perceived.

How program are actually structured and how they operate can be a different matter.

Butler caught lightening with Stevens and was the Little Engine that could out of the Horizon League to make it to both of those games. Good for them.

But it's this simple, and I don't have blue/silver glasses on: I wouldn't trade Xavier's place with Butler's place in all this for anything.
    Butler hardly fell into obscurity after Stevens left. They are still a very strong program. X has been to one more sweet sixteen since Stevens left and one elite eight. I really don't know how anyone can say Butler hasn't had far more success then X in the last 7 years. Maybe they will fall off with Jordan, but I doubt it. I like Mack a lot, but I don't care about a coach staying or going nearly as much as I care about seeing a final four banner hanging in Cintas.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by OH.X.MI View Post
    Butler hardly fell into obscurity after Stevens left. They are still a very strong program. X has been to one more sweet sixteen since Stevens left and one elite eight. I really don't know how anyone can say Butler hasn't had far more success then X in the last 7 years. Maybe they will fall off with Jordan, but I doubt it. I like Mack a lot, but I don't care about a coach staying or going nearly as much as I care about seeing a final four banner hanging in Cintas.
    You did not comprehend my point.

Can Butler generate as much or more revenue from basketball than Xavier? I'll save you the trouble: the answer is no.

I'm focused on overall program components. Not just specific performance in the NCAA tournament.

I agree that Butler is a strong program, otherwise it would not be in the Big East. It just is not as strong as Xavier's program.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    I'm not sure I'd call Xavier a destination school for anyone but Mack. He had 3 ties to the school before taking the job: Ex-player, assistant to former coach (Prosser) and assistant at the school

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OH.X.MI View Post
    Keeping Mack gives X the best opportunity to finally hang a FF banner. Coaching continuity is key to the programs that get there.

Quote Originally Posted by throwbackmuskie View Post
    I get what you guys are saying, but I still think butler is still a ways off from being Xavier like.
    Well, except of course for the TWO consecutive championship games. So, you know, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...
    Last edited by LA Muskie; 06-13-2017 at 08:35 PM.

We are way ahead of Butler (we kept our coach again), but they are way ahead of us (going to championship games). Life can be funny.

It sucks to lose coaches you want to keep. I feel for them, truly. Good luck going forward, except against X.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Well, except of course for the TWO consecutive championship games. So, you know, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...
    Yeah those were great for them, but that is not the end all be all.

But lets be honest, overall as a program Xavier is head and shoulders above them. Since 1980, More conference titles, more Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, NCAA appearances, all while doing it in a tougher conference. Not to mention the overall head to head series lead.

Butler caught lightning in a bottle two years in a row, I applaud them for that.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.