Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WCWIII View Post
    Travis Steele

Inter-conference and recruiting issues certainly. It would be a great destination for him.

Of course, I hope he stays at Xavier, but he's earned his shot if the opportunity arises. Best for Xavier are well-compensated and a stable staff of assistants, but these guys have their career goals as well.
    I'd be floored if they hired someone from the X family. Although I think Steele will be a tremendous HC in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I was looking at old numbers then, as X was above Butler (who can ever really be sure with these things). I do know that Butler just got 9.7 million in donations to related to their Football Stadium. Some of that was to go to Athletics and some was to go to the general University Fund. I've seen various reports on what Holtman could have been making at Butler. The lowest projection (which I don't believe) was something like 1 million per season.
    My source is Wiki. I just found it "interesting" how much lower XU and Butler's endowments are compared to the rest of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    My source is Wiki. I just found it "interesting" how much lower XU and Butler's endowments are compared to the rest of the league.
    Yes. It was shocking the first time I looked as well. Though I believe X's is somewhat depleted because of all the campus projects we undertook in the past ten years. But there is still significant ground to make up no matter the reason. GTown's is impressive.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Xavier's endowment, as low as it is, is a vast improvement from where it was in the mid-80's when I started work at Xavier. At that time, the endowment was less than $10M and falling. It definitely needs to be bigger than it is (I think the rule of thumb is the endowment should be at least 200% of the annual operating budget), and hopefully the next capital campaign will focus more heavily on building the endowment than the previous ones. Xavier's infrastructure was in terrible shape in the mid-80's because of deferred maintenance, and so it made sense to use capital campaign monies to rebuild the campus. Now only the sports center needs replacement (which will happen in the next couple of years with the Tri-Health project on the east campus); every other building is either new or significantly renovated, making the campus the beautiful place it has now become.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Xavier's endowment, as low as it is, is a vast improvement from where it was in the mid-80's when I started work at Xavier. At that time, the endowment was less than $10M and falling. It definitely needs to be bigger than it is (I think the rule of thumb is the endowment should be at least 200% of the annual operating budget), and hopefully the next capital campaign will focus more heavily on building the endowment than the previous ones. Xavier's infrastructure was in terrible shape in the mid-80's because of deferred maintenance, and so it made sense to use capital campaign monies to rebuild the campus. Now only the sports center needs replacement (which will happen in the next couple of years with the Tri-Health project on the east campus); every other building is either new or significantly renovated, making the campus the beautiful place it has now become.
    I'm definitely starting to see this on the Fundraising end of Xavier based on the mailers and campaigns I've been asked to support. To me it's a positive sign.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Yes. It was shocking the first time I looked as well. Though I believe X's is somewhat depleted because of all the campus projects we undertook in the past ten years. But there is still significant ground to make up no matter the reason. GTown's is impressive.
    XU's endowment is even less than Duquesne and St. Joe's.

Ok, now back to discussing Butler coaching search.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Hopefully Butler is getting a nice check from Ohio State to help subsidize the search.
    I think I saw 2 million.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I think I saw 2 million.
    I saw that as well. Not sure if that's all at once, or over time.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

It's hard to get people excited about a capital campaign to build endowment. I mean, if you give money and it results in a building, that's something. If you give money with the express purpose of having the university put it in the bank, that's not as cool.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    It's hard to get people excited about a capital campaign to build endowment. I mean, if you give money and it results in a building, that's something. If you give money with the express purpose of having the university put it in the bank, that's not as cool.
    It's time to make saving money great again!

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook